Help needed...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I’m new on here and wanted to find out if anyone has gone through this. It’s driving me insane and I can only put it down to alcohol. I wouldn’t have described myself as an alcoholic but what do I know. I appreciate anyone who reads this, can relate to this or give me some advice. This is starting to affect me quite badly now and I’m getting pretty worried. 

Background: I’m 27 years old and have been drinking since 18 I live in the UK. At the age of 18 I became a holiday rep and basically ran bar crawls most nights and basically got drunk every night for near two years. Everyone does this at this age right?!!!! Or maybe not!... After finishing this I went to University where again 3 years of drinking heavily 7-10 pints of beer pretty much every day took place sometimes a lot more. I graduated uni and got a job. That was 4 years ago since then. I’d pretty much go out 2 nights a week and have between 2 – 5 pints and have about 20 pints over a Friday/Saturday weekend. I’ve cut down a lot now and maybe drink 3 times a week max 7-8 pints on a big night and 3 pints in the week.

Over the last 6 months I have been having symptoms after drinking which I don’t think are normal. I went to the doctors yesterday to get my bloods checked and am waiting to hear back. I have been before when these symptoms started but the doctor put it down to anxiety which I can tell you I’m definitely not an anxious person. Bit of a jack the lad and always up for a good laugh with everyone.

From about 6 months ago after a day of drinking 3 pints or more I’m getting the following feelings;

• Anxiety

• Muscle stiffness

• Spaced Out feeling like I’m looking at myself through someone else’s body

• Fatigue

• Twitches

• After a heavy session Palpitations and a shortness of breath (I much stress this is after 4 days lads holidays etc)

When I stop for a week I sort of go back to normal but the spaced out feeling is definitely still there.

I realise this is down to drinking but this isn’t normal it’s not like I’ve been doing this for 20 years or drinking a bottle of Whisky a day. I just want to be able to go out once/twice a week, have a few beers and be fine the next day.

When I went the doctors he asked do I drink every day – no do I drink alone – no, which is why maybe incorrectly in my head I don’t think I’m too bad.

I know the obvious answer is to stop drinking but I’m wondering if I can ever be normal again, I go the football with the lads which involves alcohol and love going out with my girlfriend and friends for a few. I don’t smoke anymore and don’t do drugs.

If anyone can relate to this or has any experience of anyone with this to let me know what’s going on I would be massively appreciative as the doc doesn’t seem to know nor does anyone else!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Everyone reacts to alcohol differently, certain things are common symptoms such as anxiety, others are separate to indivduals.

The tests may not show the reason for your symptoms, but it sounds a bit like alcohol withdawl and your body is reaacting to the amount of acohol in you.

• Posted

Hi Smithy

go to http://www.drinksafely.soton.ac.uk, they have some good information.

I am not medically trained but my GP gave me his response to some of your symptoms which I also had:

Muscle stiffness (mine is mostly calves) - this is due to de-hydration

Spaced out feeling - this is linked to anxiety attacks

Fatiuge - due to lack of proper (REM) sleep

All of these can certainly be attributed to over indulgance in alcohol, persist with your GP and also maybe self refer to your local Community Addiction Team, all confidential!

Hope this is some help for you

• Posted

HI Smithy; YES you can become normal again and lots of people here have been in a similar situation but you need determination and courage which you seem to have! you are very honest and upfront and that is a good sign. Good luck and keep us posted
  • Posted

Guys really apreaciate your feedback.

I will update this thread with any news I get and how I hpefully improve incase it can be of value to anybody.

I think a period of atleast a month with no alcahol is on the cards for me though!

Thanks again! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.