Help needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a little concerned that My partner maybe in the early stages of Dementia.

She is 67 We don't live together, and her family don't live near her.  

My mum and a friend of my partner think it is possible too.

What do I do. ?

She gets nasty at the slightest mention of anything wrong.

She would never ever go to the Doctors,  

And she would never accept it anyway.

So what am I suppose to do.????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Get a doctor exma asap. Go see a nuerologist. 
    • Posted

As I said she would never go to see a Doctor.

I wish it was that straight forward.

• Posted

This is a difficult one, Peter, but unfortunately it's quite a common story. However, "getting nasty" doesn't automatically have to be the first sign of dementia. You don't say whether she has any other signs, e.g. memory loss, not coping with household chores, neglecting personal appearance and hygiene etc.

These sudden mood swings could be down to all kinds of problems, both mental and physical, so ideally she needs to see a doctor to get a basic check-up, and especially blood tests. Quite simple, treatable medical conditions can sometimes cause dementia-like symptoms. Off the top of my head I can think of an under-active thyroid, which causes tiredness and lethargy, and vitamin B12 deficiency, which can actually lead to brain damage if not treated. The other possibility is that she may secretly be having symptoms that make her think she has cancer, and is feeling very frightened. Or just that your relationship has run its course.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to be patient. Try having the occasional conversation with her about seeing a doctor, but keep mental changes out of it. Push the idea that she seems very under the weather lately and that she needs a few blood tests. Even if you manage to get her there, there's still a danger that the doctor won't spot anything wrong in her manner, especially if he/she doesn't know her and in the context of the three-minute consultations we hear about in the NHS (if you live in the UK, that is). The best solution for that would be for your partner to agree to you going into the consultation with her, but I can see you'd probably have problems with that one too.

Wherever you are in the world, there's no way you can force her to see a doctor - unless, of course, her mood swings become so severe that there's a danger she will harm you or herself. Sadly, it would become a police matter then. In the meantime you're just going to have to watch and wait, and take every opportunity that presents itself to express your concern about her health.

• Posted

Hello peter,

What you eat may have its greatest impact on brain health through its effect on heart health. Heart-healthy eating patterns, such as the Mediterranean diet, also may help protect the brain. A Mediterranean diet includes whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish and shellfish, and nuts, olive oil and other healthy fats.

If there are times of day when your partner is less confused or more cooperative, plan major activities for those times.

Playing your partners favorite types of music is typically the most effective form of dementia therapy.

• Posted

Hi Peter, my sister is showing signs of it and I know how hard it is to get her to see a doctor but we're planning to get the doctor to come to our home and all of us there as a family so she doesn't think he's there just for her,I'm going to pretend the doc is here to see me. And let the diagnosis begin. Good luck to you, I know it's a very tough situation to be in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.