Help needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI all,

im a 47 year old female going through perimenopause, the last 10 weeks ive fallen into a dreadful cycle of anxiety , especially bad on waking, doom/ gloom, edgy, no appetite & horrible thoughts . i tried setraline for 5 weeks, but made me very ill, i had a couple if weeks off & felt a bit better, but started citalopram 5 days ago, it has worked for me in the past. i am in despair, as i now feel very low & cant see an end to this, i just want to stay in my room today . i just want to feel better x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Chrissy

it will take about 3 weeks for the citalopram to kick in. with this med symptoms seem to get worse before you feel better, stick with it it'll be worth it. Ask your GP for diazepam or proranalol to help you through the symptoms.

Sending hugs it will get better

• Posted

thank you, im praying it will work, i have propropanol & diazepan to take the edge off, thank goodness x

• Posted

Dear Chrissy,

I'm sorry you are going through a hard time. I take Celexa and it helps me so much (the 4th med I tried).

When I went through a bad patch of anxiety when I couldn't get away from negative thoughts, it helped me to just distract until the meds kicked in. I watched TV and went to movies, played video games (non-violent ones) and did jigsaw puzzles. Even did puzzles with the TV on for company. I read books when I could concentrate. I listened to audio books during long commutes. And of course, talked to friends, though they aren't always available.

I am doing much better now and through mindfulness, trying to stay in the present.

I hope that you feel better soon 😃

Liz

• Posted

thank you, how long until you felt better? & what dosage are you on? x

• Posted

My case might be a little different from yours because of my unique complications. This is the second time I started Celexa. I took it for a decade or so, then tried to go off it to see if that would help my chronic fatigue. I was OK for a while then got really depressed. When I started it the second time I tried 10 mg for a couple of weeks, then went up to 20mg, now I'm at 30mg. The depression got better quickly, but the anxiety stayed with me until maybe a week or two after going up to 30. (But I also had some unusual stuff going on in my life.)

It helped me to feel in control to keep a diary (actually an excel spreadsheet) of my dosages and symptoms (like depression, anxiety, sleep hours, etc.) and it's been useful for me to look back on it.

It might be good for you to keep track of what helps you. Also, don't be afraid to communicate with your doctor if you think this isn't working for you. They can try different doses or different meds.

If you can stand one more piece of advice - it's scientifically proven that being in green space can help rejuvenate ourselves and relax us, even just being in a park for a few minutes. Whenever I can, I walk in a garden or a park or beach. I ALWAYS feel better after that.

Take care. It will get better. Write again if you have any more questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.