Help needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone any tips on how get through withdrawal, and no horror stories please. 3 days into trying to wean off citalopram and it's been really tough I am am cutting down very slowly by about 2 mg. I know I haven't helped by switching meds and fact still in zopiclone withdrawal. Did take a zop in desperation 2 nd night as got some left and felt normal again for few hours, which has confirmed it's def still withdrawal.Don't want to take anything else as feel my brain needs to recover from drugs despite how awful I feel. So if anyone tried any non medical aids that help please advise! It does seem luck of the draw on coming off these drugs unfortunately!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

it depends on what symptoms you have, sometimes unfortunately the only thing that helps is time

• Posted

Same as I 've has before anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Also had almost likeOCD type symptoms had last couple weeks got worse since dropping dose almost get like panic attacks. i know i havent helped by swapping meds def don't want take anything else just didn't expect to get hit so quickly. Did get some inositol meant help ocd but wary of taking it!.

• Posted

do you have any physical symptoms .just curious?

• Posted

When i get the ocd symptoms get almost panic attack heart beats fast get very hot . Dont feel like eating at all. Finding it hard to do anything just want curl up in bed. Might take another zopiclone tonight just get bit peace. Doesnt help got builders in at moment doing our driveway.

• Posted

Been doing bit research seem cit withdrawal can cause ocd/intrusive thoughts in some people, had it bit before on it but nowhere near as bad as I have now since lowering the dose. Had hoped would be bit easier than zop as all the stuff you read says they are easier to come off sadly not in some cases!

• Edited

ssri are most definitely harder to come off compare to sleepaids

• Posted

Not the impression you get when you read the official stuff, but definitely been worse than zopiclone, and that took couple weeks to kick in not straight away.. They are still handed out readily without warnings by doctors. Plod on hopefully will ease bit sooner than yours did! Spent most day in bed just feel exhausted with it.

• Posted

unlike benzos and zmeds .ssri does not give you euphoria.thats the reason why they dont add the word withdrawls .they say discontinuation symptoms.go figure

• Posted

i agree 100 percent! ive stopped zopiclone before no problem and even mirt was 5 months withdrawal ssri are a different beast

• Posted

i have ocd and when withdrawing it is timed by a thousand, at least you dont seem to be getting many symptoms, fingers crossed it stays that way!

• Posted

at my surgery a gp told me that people tend to stay on citalopram because they try and fail to get off

• Posted

It is really severe at the monent Toria absolutely crippling makes me not want to be here so maybe just one symptom but is life changing just end up crying most day. Iknow you have several symptoms but having one that is that intense can be just as bad. The citalopram have caused it never had it before so hoping eventually will ease bit once bit more into withdrawal. Got an appt with GP in monthe time might try get some diazapam for really bad days. Took them as & when when my husband had heart attack.

• Posted

i know the feeling im crippled with fear most days! the body pain is blooming awful too, dizziness migraine nausea off tummy insomnia etc etc etc please be careful using benzos in withdrawal, you probably wont listen but i wanted to say that!

• Posted

thanks Toria I'll see how it goes. Am bit wary trying anything else as drugs have caused all this was fine before stopped the zop. Certainly wouldn't take t another SSRI i know they help lot people but doctor really shouldn't given them to me when I'm already in zop withdrawal. Obviously in acute withdrawal at moment so hopefully will subside bit. Not eating much so might loose some weight !

• Posted

i cant afford to loose anymore weight nearly down to 8 stone, just know everything i tried in withdrawal made me worse except epsom salts in a bath

• Posted

How long have you been weaning off? Don't think I will do a long taper as these withdrawal symptoms so horrible think sooner I get off them the better. Does list agitation and anxiety is a withdrawal symptom. I know they help lot people but wish I'd never started them, zop symptoms nothing compared to these obviously didn't agree with me. We learn by our mistakes!

• Posted

thats good to hear as im getting off that next haha! im doing 2mg a year or i wouldnt function, wish i could go quicker but could end up with permanent damage as been on it ten years, dont know why my last comment is being moderated!

• Posted

Hi All, some background.... I was prescribed Citalopram for spikes of rapid heart rate and high BP - that as you can imagine caused me to feel pretty anxious. So my GP prescribed Cit and Ativan for adjusting to the Cit start up. Horrible for me. Lost my mind. Terrible start up, horrible 9 months and then I just decided to wean off 20 mg Cit to 0 in about 3 months. Slow and steady. Painful as you can imagine but did it. Was referred to a cardio doc and turns out what I really needed was a blood pressure med. All this to say you have to advocate for yourself. GP's are too quick to prescribe and most do not know how ssri's and benzo's can destroy lives or perhaps they don't care. Either way I will never, ever take an antidepressent or Benzo for any reason ever again. Be careful. Wean slow and steady. Expect some very rough days. Worth it. So worth it.

Best to All.

• Posted

Iwould agree with that, AD can be a life saver and work well for some people, but fir me have have just made things 10 times worse can't do a slow taper the withdrawal is so awful cant do 3 months of this will end up completely broken. GP's are very ill informed he should never have given me citalopram while in zop withdrawal has just given me more symptoms and do have go through another horrible withdrawal.

• Posted

How long do you soak in the epsom salts will give them a try. The panic attack last night was horrible. Agitation and anxiety listed as withdrawal symptoms so par for the course. Think must be part of peoples chemical make up as to how they affect you as Ihave friends came off it easily but others like us get awful symptoms no logic to it.

• Posted

the majority of patients taking ssri get discontinuation symptoms of all kinds .the lucky ones is a very tiny percentage.

• Posted

20 minutes with the epsom salts, i think withdrawal is luck of the draw as ive stopped mirtazapine 3 times, only had withdrawal once 😕

• Posted

I do think it is the luck of the draw I know 4 people just stopped it no problem, I do think it has something to do with your chemical make up as there seems not logic to why some can just stop but others get awful problems. Citalopram has been awful for me but I know to many people it is a godsend and works well, as I say sometimes down to luck and different meds affect people in different ways.

• Posted

Survey done here about year ago said about half of people have problems coming off them, just think doctors should warn you and maybe not always hand them out so readily. I know they are essential to some people and really necessary but patients should be made aware of possible problems in the future.

• Posted

totally agreed with you.doctors are very famous for not giving anyone the full 411.

• Posted

trust me im a pure example of the guinea pig stages without been inform of the consequences.the only reason i stuck with them was because my anxiety symptoms physical ones where so severe to the point of no return.

• Posted

i know how awful it is been going through it for years!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.