Help needed on Subungual Melanoma

Posted , 1 user is following.

Remembering that I had some emery paper in the drawer I stupidly proceeded to try to ‘sand down’ the poorly nail, to try to remove the mark, which, if I could only clear it would surely prove that the line was near or on the surface of the nail and not somewhere under it (ie Subungual) as I thought the term to mean.

Very sadly, the emery paper didn’t work very well at all, and so, in a further panic, I tried  to cut the nail down again and managed to do so, before I realised what an idiot I had been again in probably removing any evidence that might have helped  me whenever I did the right thing and had it properly checked out by my GP.

Despite all my repeated stupidity today, I wondered if someone could help me and advise me. The scene that I am left with on my toe is of a very badly cut down nail with nothing, ie no dark line, behind it in the skin, nor any further sign of any cancer in the form of any ‘nodules’ that I’ve read might be involved.

I realise that I might now have to wait for months whilst my nail grows back again or I can try to pluck up the courage to show my terrible handiwork to my GP. 

Is there anything I would have seen today that might have been evidence of any cancer, and/or does the absence of any further sign of the disease in my toe go quite a long way to probably saying I’m OK? Part of the reason that I wanted to get under the nail was that I thought ‘Subungual’ meant ‘under the nail’ and so I reasoned that I could just get under there but actually saw nothing, then chances are I was OK.

Could anyone offer me any advice or any comfort in all this. I’m so very sorry for being so stupid, but I hope you can understand how very upset and worried I was today, though my stupidity has only made me feel much, much worse nw this evening. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Note to all:

I’m so sorry but I missed out the opening part of my message above, so please read the following text first and then move on to the text I the main message. Thank you:

I have recently become very frightened over the subject of Subungual Melanoma, and wonder if anyone could help me or reassure me about this.

For several years now I have had a rather unsightly case of toenail fungus in my right big toe, but in thinking this was of a merely cosmetic significance - however unsightly the actual look was - I simply ‘hid it away’ if anyone happened to notice it, and forgot it about it again until the next time the same thing happened, and kept on putting off any real treatment or, in fact, any treatment at all.

Just over a year I tried to take some action of my own and got the idea into my head that if I could only cut the infection out by trimming the infected toenail down as far as I possibly could, the new toenail might then grow back ‘cleanly’ and sort the problem out for me in that way.

This, of course, failed miserably, and within a couple the problem was as bad as ever so I resolved to never take that action again and seek some proper medical attention even if that be a prolonged course of slow working creams or potions that would be very, very slow to work, but would eventually very probably sort the infected toenail out.

In my usual way of doing things I very stupidly failed to do this, and so the problem rumbled on with no real change or sign of improvement such was the chronic and ingrained nature of the problem.

In all probability this would still be the case had I not heard one fa6 about Subungual Melanoma which I chanced across in watching a TV programme about a doctor’s surgery.

I quickly Googled everything I could about this disease, but as my toenail fungus was lacking any real sign of a very clear line, I thought I was probably safe and could try to stop any worry by simply reminding that it was unlikely to be Melanoma without the presence of a dark line.

Just around a couple of weeks ago I started to worry again, and earlier today I got myself into a terrible state of panic after I became very alarmed over what seemed to be a slightly darkening stain in a roughly diagonal mark (again, not a clear line) across my nail.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.