Help!? Obsessed with my heart!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, so it all started about two months ago. I started having chest pain, in the middle of my chest/left side. So I did some tests. I did an acid reflux test, thyroid test, chest X-ray,breast ultrasound, and Ekg/ecg. And blood pressure is good! All came back normal. But the chest pain was still there. So my doctor ordered heart tests. I did an echocardiogram, 2 week heart monitor and I will be doig a stress test in 2 weeks. I don't get my results for any of these until the 21st of January. I keep thinking something is wrong with my heart! It's all I think about now. I feel like it will just stop working or I'll have a heart attack! So about two weeks ago now, I started checking my pulse. And it got to the point where I started checking like 40 times a day. I bought a pulse reader and I used an app on my phone. (Which is surprisingly accurate) and did it manually as well. Now my heart is always racing. Going 90-100. Usually it would be going in the 70's. I had a really bad panic attack on Jan 1, where my heart rate was 160 and I called an ambulance because I thought I was dying. They did some tests and They told me it was just anxiety. Now I can't get my heart rate to my normal 70's. It's always going around 90. Which I know 60-100 is normal range. But it's still on the high end. I keep having anxiety all day and panic attacks a lot. I've tried breathing exercises, yoga, music... Nothing seems to relax me! I feel like I'm going crazy! I'm not getting enough sleep either. It's such a viscous cycle sad

I had a b12 shot two days ago, which honesty helped me relax and my heart rate was 75. But it only lasted a day and now I'm back in the 90's and constantly freaking out... I don't know what to do anymore. I don't get the results until the 21st and I'm going insane. I feel like if I have a heart problem I'll just die before the 21st.... Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey I know what you mean as I'm in the exact situation right now. .I have constant chest pain usually in the morning..and I will have it on and off throughout the day..but for me the chest pain developed 1 month or so after my first panic attack and ever since then it has been Costant..mine feels more like tightness and soreness/tender feeling mostly in the centre of my chest..I will only feel it when I make certain movement or any movement for that matter. .I told this to my GP and he ran an ecg and did routine checks everything was Okey. .and I went for several ecgs from different docs as well which came back Okey and I had blood test done as well..which did came back fine. .now the chest pain is still there. It has been close to 7 months now..so I guess if my heart was really in trouble I wouldnt be here right now so I guess the docs were right. .i did 5 ecgs and came good so now Imy trying to stop going for tests as I just feel it will feed on my anxiety further. .I hate health anxiety..itso making me very unhappy..how does your chest pain feel lIke?
    • Posted

My chest pain in under my left breast now. Sometimes it's dull and sometimes it's sharp. I have no idea what it is. But you should look up costochondritis. It's an inflammation of the cartilage between your rib bones. It can last a long time. If you take ibuprofen or Advil and the pain goes away its most likely that. (Make sure it's a an anti inflamitory)
  • Posted

Hey guys,

Sounds all familiar to me. I've had the ECG's, heart monitors and excessive anxiety about the well-being of my heart. From my perspective it sounds like the work of anxiety to me. Remember, anxiety releases adrenaline, which directly affects our muscles (chest pain in particular), our heart rate (including palpitations) and, of course, our intrusive thoughts (AH MY HEART!!)

I can't tell you how much I ruminated about the rib pains - worrying about things such as stomach problems, chest problems and the heart. It was all anxiety for me.

Just remember, with anxiety, the more you worry about a symptom, such as heart rate, the more the symptom becomes more prevelant. This applies to headaches, I.B.S, pains, intrusive thoughts etc.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine! =)

• Posted

I had a similar time a year ago: the chest tightness, pain, palpitations, perceived racing. then the tests: ct scan, holter monotor, ekgs, stress test, electrocardiogram, thyroid tests. trips to er convinced i was having a heart attack ("how stupid are these doctors to think it's all anxiety? it can't be! my heart is sick!"). tests all came back perfectly fine. i decided to accept that my mind / GAD / mild hypochondriasm caused my heart pain andvpanic attacks. until you get the all clear, try to do some deep, slow breathing a few times a day and especially when you feel anxious (i do in for 4, hold 7, out 8), try some relexing yoga if that's your thing, try to allow yourself to float on top of the anxiety, sort of let it happen and accept that it cannot get worse than that and it will actually get better. CBT helped me too. i hope you get answers and then help. good luck!! you aren't alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.