Help on BP meds: after 4 failures, looking for other options

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am a 26 years old male who suffers from high blood pressure (145/95) despite being fit, doing regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, no family history of high BP, no smoking and moderate drinking.

In only 12 months, I've been put on:

- Lisinopril 20mg: hair loss

- Amlodipine 10mg: swollen ankles and itchy skin rash

- Candesartan 16mg: again hair loss

- Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg: fatigue and depression

I don't want to be put on beta blockers because of their well-known side effect on males. To sum up, I have already tried all main types of BP medications (ACE inhibitors, Calcium channel blockers, ARBs, diuretics) and don't want to use them again because of the side effects. What can I do? Is there any other medication I can try?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There are foods that can help such as beet juice and hibiscus tea.   Deep breathing and learning how to breathe properly can also help.  I do it know much about bpmrds as you have never had to take them.  I had a scare a few weeks ago but it appears it was a fluke as I have been monitoring my BP with my own cuff monitor and it seems to be under control.  There are some people here who have some real world knowledge and hopefully they  will respond to you.  You are very young to have high BP and with no family history.    Definitely cut out sodium and cut down on caffeine or caffeinated drinks.    Definitely try the beet juice and hibiscus tea.  Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Dave,

Here is my situation. I am 68 years old. When I was 25, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. 170/110. Over the years I tried every BP med known to man. I can not handle the side effects from any of them. My cardiologist says that she can't find anything wrong with my heart after all of these years with HBP. My mother had HBP and died at 88, her mother had HBP and also died at 88. Neither of them could tolerate BP meds. Now with that being said, do to a VERY large prostate I have to have surgery. They want me to get my BP down prior to surgery. I can't take anything. They may cancel surgery because of my BP. I am sitting here with a Foley catheter in me and a bag strapped to my leg. I don't know what will happen day of surgery. Hope this helps you.

• Posted

I too was diagnosed with high blood pressure about 10 years ago. I have had at least12 different pills and cannot tolerate any of them. The side effects are terrible. My GP still thinks I am taking ramipril. She refused to to take me off it despite the side effects (new GP and less approachable than previous ones). Sometimes it's only mildly high but mostly it is 158/110 (ish).  Is your blood pressure consistently high?  Do you take it most days?  Were any of the pills better than others?  I feel quite worried at the moment as I have all sorts of pains, particularly in my liver area.   I'm starting to think the blood pressure is having some effect on me.  The worst one for me was Candesarten.  It lowered my blood pressure a treat and was the best one I took for actually working -  but it gave me the most horrific leg cramps where I really thought my leg was trying to explode... the pain was off the scale.  Most of them don't even lower my blood pressure and some, doxazosin, makes it go higher but GP's refuse to believe any of this! 

• Posted

Its becoming more fashionable to prescribe  several drugs together at very low doses you can get a better effect with fewer side effects. Not all ACE inhibitors or Angiotensin II inhibitors cause the same side effects in everyone, some people can tolerate one but not another in the same group. Indapamide might be more tolerable than Hydrochlorothiazide, its a similar drug but has less of a diuretic action. There are other drugs but generally they become more likely to cause side effects than the 1st line ones. All the other advice is sound and worth a try.
  • Posted

I've recently been diagnosed at age 69.  A little bizarre as only last September I cycled non-stop up three of the Tour de France cols. I've been put on Amlopodine but am trying out a few herbal remedies. (celery seed extract 3nb, Hibiscus Tea (large 1kg for around £12 on the internet) and L-Theanine. Unfortunately as yet I can't say if they are efficacious Good luck!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.