HELP! Ovarian cyst surgery experience and recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I’ll be removing my 12x12cm endometrioma in 2 weeks. The anesthesiologist told me it’ll most likely be keyhole surgery but they won’t  know until they get in there. There are a few questions I have and would like to hear from you all who have gone through this! 

1) Did anyone wake up from surgery afterwards with a big incision they weren’t expecting? 

2) How painful was it when you woke up from surgery in the recovery room (whether you had keyhole or open)? I don’t deal well with pain. This is what I am most worried about. 

3) How were the gas pains? Are they excruciating like someone compressing you? 

4) How was your recovery experience? 

Thank you! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I had keyhole surgery to remove a 4cm dermoid cyst a couple of months ago, this was my experience:

1) No, with keyhole the insicions are pretty small. Obviously if they can't do keyhole then they'll be bigger.

2) I was also worried about this as like you I don't handle pain well. Thankfully I wasn't in any at all when I woke up and because I was so worried about being in pain I said yes every time I was offered morphine. That seemed to do the trick pain wise, although it did leave me struggling to open my eyes!

3) Aside from one minor brief twinge in one shoulder I didn't feel the gas at all.

4) In terms of recovery from the operation itself, largely very good. I was able to walk around the house as soon as I got home (the day after my operation) and walk to the local shops by the 5th day post surgery This probably would have been sooner if I hadn't practically knocked myself out taking Naproxen. So from day 4 I switched back to just taking paracetamol and that was enough to stop the pain. And I was back at work 2 weeks post surgery. However I'm over 2 months post surgery now and its only the last few days I've managed to stop taking paracetamol and I still get twinges of discomfort from time to time.

You will experience a bit of discomfort when you have to engage your stomach muscles so walking and sitting up feel strange but not really painful. This disappeared for me after about a week and a half.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience with me! Would you mind if I asked about your menstrual cycle after surgery? Was it painful or heavier afterwards? Were there any irregularities? My period is always on clockwork, it comes on time every month so I’m hoping the surgery doesn’t mess up my cycle or cause me more pain. 

When you mentioned discomfort,  was it sore or was it like tugging of the stitches or the inner muscles? Sorry for having so many questions as I am pretty anxious since it’s my first surgery. 

• Posted

In terms of my period it wasn't any worse than usual and it came on time. And in terms of the discomfort, it was like tugging on the stomach muscles.

• Posted

How was the incision pain? I’m really bad with pain and I’m super worried about the recovery at home. 
  • Posted

Honestly I dont' remember the incision pain to be an issue, especially when sitting or lying down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.