Help paying for Humira?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a "graduate" from PMR diagnosed a year ago with sero-negative RA. After a year trying to find the right dosage of drugs that now include methotrexate, plaquenil, and prednisone, my rheumy wants me to try Humira. Even getting past all the associated risks, I'm put off by the cost. My medicare Rx plan wants a $1500 co-pay for 2 injections. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Ken and I remember you from the PMRGCA forum - but I'm not sure how many on this forum are in the US. Maybe someone is. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Eileen, and thanks! Someday we Americans will catch up with the rest of the Civilized World with regard to healthcare ... probably not in my lifetime. We all have villains we deal with in daily life, and this week my list has a new and fearsome one: BIG PHARMA!

• Posted

Once we have Medicare coverage paying for biologics becomes very difficult.Luckily my husband is still employed so I have his insurance coverage but soon will need to go on Medicare and I have had this discussion with my rheumatologist . I don't know if you have original Medicare,. Medicare advantage or part D but I found a helpful site called

Boomer benefits and their article entitled How does Medicare cover RA

That would also apply to other autoimmune diseases that need biologics medication.

My doctor did inform me that if I have the infusions or injections at their office then Medicare will use part B but you still have a copay. This is explained in the boomer article I just referenced.I am not certain but I think we would still need to pay a hefty copay. The copay you mentioned would not be affordable for us and I assume that is a monthly copay.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Gloria, and thanks especially for the Boomerbenefits recommendation! I've already been to the site and had some things made clearer. One is that the Humira coming as it has this time of year has kicked me into my donut, hence that $1500 copay. My pharmacist has found me another plan for next year that will, after a combined outlay of about $2500 in Jan/Feb, will settle down to around $300/ mo for the rest of the year. That hurts, but not as much as $1500/mo forever! Again, many thanks. Going to share Boomerbenefits with all my Plan D clueless friends!

• Posted

Glad that the Boomer benefits helped you. I tried to find the article on Medicare and RA drug coverage but could never find the exact one again.I did read that in 2019 the donut hole is disappearing for non generic drugs. But supposedly it's a good thing. I still find it all very confusing.From what I understand specialty drugs like Humira cannot give you the discount if you have Medicare or Medicaid insurance.I have been on humira and cimzia for RA and crohn's disease

but had side effects of chest pain and shortness of breath that caused me to stop taking

• Posted

Hi, I'm not certain but seem to remember my humira nurse telling me that the company would cover all but 50.00. it's worth calling humira direct. The good news is that I've been able to get off all the other drugs since I started taking my bi monthly injections. Good luck

• Posted

I am on MEDICARE. if u have Medicare and supplement insurance your Part B of your Medicare will pay 80 % for infusions and the supplemental will pick up the rest. I have found that Medicare prescription Part D does not pay much for any pills or injections because the biologic drugs are in the Tier 5 of the insurance and the price is extreme. wait until u hit the " Donut hole". Maybe you would qualify for the program that Humira has to help offset the cost.

Anyway, the infusion drugs for RA are: Tocilizumab ( Actemra), Abatacept ( Oriencia ), Infliximab ( Remicade ), Rituximab ( Rituxan ), Golimumab ( Simponia aria) and I think Certolizumab ( Cimzia).

I have been on Remicade and now on Orencia, but Ithink in a few months my doctor is going to make a change and put me on Actemra, who knows.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and I wish you well.

• Posted

Go to the Humira site and click on monthly savings for humira. It should be in the top box

(hopefully this makes it thru) I only paid 5$ for my shots and it was the auto inject pen. They are wonderful. The only question they asked was whether I was on goverment asst.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.