HELP! pilonidal cyst has just burst what do I do??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, everyone hope you are all ok!

Around 6 days a I started suffering from pain in my coccyx area, thought nothing of it as I usually get pain in this area and it goes within a couple of days. Anyway this time was different, I started noticing a small red lump on the coccyx area which was causing a great amount of pain so I went to the doctors, my doctor said it is a small cyst and she prescribed me antibiotics. It has been 4 days since taking the antibiotics and the effected area has trebled in size and become extremely painful! Earlier today I was lying down when I noticed the cyst had burst with yellow pus coming out, the area went immediately flat and then within 10 minutes it was back to its original size! Is that normal? I am unable to get into my doctors until next week now and I am worried about what to do as this is my first ever pilonidal cyst! I go on holiday to gran canaria next Saturday which is now looking unlikely ☹️ what do I do now it has burst? I'm thinking of going to my local walk on centre? Thankyou so much for your help

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just to add, shortly after the cyst went back to its original size the draining stopped and now nothing is coming out at all! Thanks

• Posted

Hi, i would definitely try and see someone asap, today/tomorrow. Depending on the size it was the wound might need packing. Keep it clean and dry until you see someone. I wouldn't leave it a week. You might still be ok to go on hol but probably no swimming!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I think I am going to go to the walk in centre later today when my partner finishes work to see what they say! The pain is just becoming way too much! This is my first cyst and from what i have read online once you get it drained you have to go to your gp everyday to get it packed which means no holiday! I am all new to to this so just a bit worried about it all!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you. everything with be fine. Just clean the area with some antibacterial soap and go sit in an epson salt bath for about 30 mins to and hour (the longer the better) thats going to help with the pain. Make sure to keep the area clean and keep doing the epson salt until you can go see your doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I will certainly give this a go! My cyst drained itself and then went back to its original huge size about 10 minutes after... If the hospital were to drain it wouldn't it just go back to its large size again? Sorry if that's a silly question I just know nothing about this as it is my first ever one? Also when it gets drained by a professional does the pain and discomfort go away? I'm just worried that I am going to have to cancel my holiday next week which cost me a lot of money!☹️

• Posted

No worries. I went on holiday about 4 weeks after surgery on mine but i took my friend to the doctors and they trained her how to pack and clean it so just have a chat with whoever looks at you. Hope you can still go on hol!!! I've only ever had one ans wouldnt wish it on anyone!

• Posted

Thank you! It has just burst again! It keeps bursting with blood and pus coming out and for 5 minutes I'm pain free! And then it comes back in full force again and swells up with the same excruciating pain! I'm going to the walk in center ASAP!!

• Posted

Just finished at the walk in centre, the nurse said it has now gone soft so there's no need to lance it.. She said I've got to bathe it in salt bath and put cold compression on and it should be fine.. Now I'm worried that that isn't enough and the infection will just come back and the lump will get even bigger right before my holiday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.