Help please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Posted 5 minutes ago

Hi! So I am just going to get straight to it. I am 13 going on 14 and I have Anxiety. I am not to sure if it is a specific type but I just have anxiety. I have always been a  very worried and empathetic person and that can sometimes be a blessing and a curse. I guess I have always had anxiety but it must of been on a smaller scale. When I found out that I had Anxiety in all honesty I was not that surprised! My dad has had anxiety and other mental issues and I am a lot like him. The only thing is when ever I feel anxious or stressed I find it hard to go to my parents because it feels like they won't understand. I can be very dramatic at times and I love to act and preform. So of course this means that my parents think I overreact to everything. So if I I ever tell them that I am feeling anxious they, mainly my mum, just tell me to stop overreacting. So now I don't want to talk to my parents about it because I am afraid they won't take me seriously or they will make fun of me. And honestly I love my parents a lot and they are amazing parents but sometimes they just don't understand that even though I am dramatic at times I can still have serious feelings. I need some advice because my anxiety is getting worse and it is making me have sleep problems. Whenever I lie in my bed just as I am drifting off to sleep suddenly all these stressful thoughts about school and friends and my weight and what people think about me and how I am not as fit as that athlete in my class! All of those kind of thoughts attack me and I feel a terrible weight but on my chest, I am breathing quickly, I am getting hot and flustered and I feel tears start to prick my eyes. I have had a few anxiety attacks before and that is usually the beginning of one of them. So I normally breathe in and out and try and calm myself. Then I try and direct my thoughts but lately I can't seem to do it and I get even more stressed and worried about everything all over again! I would really like it if someone could just give me some ideas as to what I should do about my parents and what else I should do to try and calm myself. 

Thank You!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily.

You are only 14 and your parents should be very understanding. Yes you may like to act up and perform but even that type of person has to be taken seriously when something is up.

You need to approach your parents and tell them how youve been feeling. Get them to make an appointment with your GP, or if they don't, tell them you will do it yourself.

My son is 12 and he is showing signs of anxiety and even asks me what it feels like and tells me what be is worried about. You need that type of relationship with your parents. Make them listen. Especially your dad if he has or is going through it. If they don't, then make the appointment yourself. (I'm  sure you can do that)

Good luck to you. Hope it works out

• Posted

wow, its posted it in two messages. 

But anyways, I know exactly what you mean. I suffer from anxiety and severe arachnophobia, but my dad thinks I'm just being dramatic. 

Honestly, I know it sounds awful, but I usually feel calmer after I cry about it just because its a release of everything and you feel more tired as well. 

But, I know how it can interfere with sleep because after I saw three spiders in my room last night, I refused to stay in there and completely broke down in tears. 

My mum thought I was also being dramatic until she saw me in floods of tears and shaking, and this may sound awful, but you need to prove to them that you aren't "faking it" because parents can sometimes be difficult like that. 

I think your parents would understand if you told them and your doctor could refer you to a therapist that can help you, which is what I'll be doing soon as well. 

Just remember, you're not alone and its alright to be scared! I'm 16 and I'm a complete pansy when it comes to spiders :P 

I hope this helped a bit :D 

• Posted

Dear Emily,

Show your mum and dad what you have written here... they cannot fail to be moved x x and I am sure that they will do everything in their power to help you...you can tell mums anything and everything, nobody loves you more, so please show them this letter you have written here.. my heart goes out to you,  I promise you things can only get better.. great big hugs to you, Deidre xxx

• Posted

Hi Emily I was reading your post and I know exactly where your coming from with anxiety and stress, as I get this all the time , you feel like know one understands you or you can't seem to control it. I stress and worry about everything and worry about the smallest things, I'm 29 still get anxiety I got it when I went to hospital I worry about work or that I don't fit in.

Have you tried Meditation? or you could turn to Paul Mckenna he has some good podcasts and helps with Anxiety, I listened to his podcasts and it really helped me relax, you have to understand you are you and don't change for anyone. I have been through a lot and I can never seem to get people to understand me, I hope this helps believe in yourself. I am always worrying what people think of me and stressing over things I shouldn't as it just makes you ill.

I told myself to just be me. I hope this helps you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.