Help please!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Started Mirtazapine 15mg on Monday for sleep anxiety, slept like a baby, however, since then simply could not fall asleep. On GP advice took Zopiclone 3.75mg which did help but I so hoped the Mirt alone would work. Anxiety symptoms now up again, GP said no more than 5 days on Zopiclone, where do I go from here? Any advice appreciated

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Should have said Mirt taken with Zopiclone past 3 nights
  • Posted

You could try taking less mirt (half a tablet).  If that fails you could ask your GP for a supplementary drug to fight the anxiety (as low doses of mirt do not help it much).  That is what I take (sertraline for anxiety PLUS 7.5mg mirt for sleep) and that works.    

I cannot reply again because I am away for Christmas.   

• Posted

Hi Lisie,

Are you getting treated for the anxiety? If not, I would see your doctor about treating that first or at the same time. Once the anxiety is under control, the Mirtazapine may work better for sleep or you may not need it. Do you have any other symptoms?

• Posted

Had problems falling asleep which created a cycle of anxiety around sleep, visited GP who prescribed Mirt 15mg to aid sleep and the anxiety, first tablet on Monday slept so well, full of optimism, however on Tuesday and thereafter poor sleep which has led to my anxiety increasing.  GP suggested Mirt 15mg plus Zopiclone 7.5mg if Mirt alone not effective which I have been taking but sleep still poor and anxiety around sleep still increasing.  Just hoped for some advice really.
  • Posted

Hi, I im not sure what all your story is about the Zopiclone? sleep and stress?

My experience with MIRT is that 7.5 was more sedative for sleep, At night try

no TV, Internet, no cafine, alcohol, suger, no other drugs unless prescribed by your DOC , try and an calm your mind befor bed. Hot shower or bath, Cup of hot Tea (sleepytime) works for me. Try and slow your thinking down befor bed.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Does your heart feel like its beating out your chest?

Gp's don't fully understand how physically debilitating it all is,not being able to fall over to sleep is the worst but that along with spikes of anxiet + headaches is too much even my bowel went to sleep,

Read mental health daily Remeron(martazipine) withdrawal + how long does it last made me feel better.

• Posted

If you are just using for sleeping pill then use less such as 3.75mg. That's what I started with 3.5 months ago and since then I'm down to 1mg while having done a slow steady taper. If you also have anxieties then you may need an additional AD to help with that till your serotonins are balanced since the mirtz at higher levels than 15mg can actually Rev you up and create anxieties.

My doc had actually clued me in on that people that have anxieties also have sleep issues which is due to underlying serotonin imbalances. Get on another AD for your anxieties and when your serotonins are balanced you can start to taper off the mirtazapine.

I am on effexor and in tapering down to 1mg of mirtz am still getting needed sleep.

• Posted

I suffer with anxiety and take melatonin 9mg at night with about 20mg mirtazapine and Pregabalin however the Pregabalin I'm going to taper off as its not good for memory. I buy melatonin capsules from biovea and they say 1mg for sleep. I'm okay with 9mg, mirtazapine hasn't increased my anxiety but I'm on sertraline which I take at night too but for years for anxiety and depression. I'd try speaking to GP about sertraline, they won't give you Zopiclone more than couple weeks max. I've found after years of being chronic insomniac that I've not developed a tolerance with mirtazapine like you do with many other benzo type drugs and I've been on a few. Try the 7.5 or 15mg mirtazapine, buy some melatonin capsules and speak to GP about antidepressant. Sertraline is helpful with anxiety. I know what I'm talking about as a mental health nurse of 30 years.

• Posted

I suffer with anxiety and take melatonin 9mg at night with about 20mg mirtazapine and Pregabalin however the Pregabalin I'm going to taper off as its not good for memory. I buy melatonin capsules from biovea and they say 1mg for sleep. I'm okay with 9mg, mirtazapine hasn't increased my anxiety but I'm on sertraline which I take at night too but for years for anxiety and depression. I'd try speaking to GP about sertraline, they won't give you Zopiclone more than couple weeks max. I've found after years of being chronic insomniac that I've not developed a tolerance with mirtazapine like you do with many other benzo type drugs and I've been on a few. Try the 7.5 or 15mg mirtazapine, buy some melatonin capsules and speak to GP about antidepressant. Sertraline is helpful with anxiety. I know what I'm talking about as a mental health nurse of 30 years.

• Posted

hi lisie....i have been on mirt 5/6 weeks for dep/anx/chronic imsomnia .started on 7.5mg.. read my posts..to strong made a zombie..redduced to 3.75 mg my dep/anx/improved by 80% but no sleep..dr said to up back to 7.5 last week  as i had improved so much i did this first 2 nights 2/3 hrs sleep then BANG NO SLEEP BAD DREAMS ..ect..i am going to stick with it 4 a little longer as dr said sleep will come in time..my dep/anx.is still ok..why dont u stay on 3.75 4 a while to see if it helps dep/anx..we are all different but this may help u as it did me with dep/anx/sleep may follow ...i just need some sleep and i will be ok.i do not take any other meds maybe i should ??          good luck             BLUESY... HOPE THIS HELPS   
  • Posted

I found it took a few weeks for my sleep to improve with mirtazapine, but once it did, I was able to come off the sleeping tablets and had the best 3 years of sleep I'd had in my life. Unfortunately, the mirt stopped working and I had to come off it. I am back on temazepam now for sleep. The mirtazapine gave me kidney disease and thyroid problems too.

• Posted

Hi,

I was folowing your post no getting off MIRT and the no sleep issue,

I am going through same right now 3 weeks off MIRT,  How long before sleep is back to normal without takeing anything? 

• Posted

I've not tried, if I'm honest. My life is such that I need to be up at 6.30 am and still alert enough to drive after 10 pm and so not sleeping is not something I dare risk. I couldn't just work through it as I work 7 days a week and need to taxi my son to and from his late job too. So I have been on temazepam every night now for over a year (I started again on it whilst still on the mirt when it pooped out on me). I guess my GP will try and get me off it at some point and I'm dreading it. I don't see why I should be taken off it though because I have stayed on the same dose without increasing it and it keeps me functioning well without any side effects. But they don't like you to be on benzos long term.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back, it feels good to talk to others who are going through the same thing as my  others who I love very much just doint understand, I also have to work and  not getting  any sleep is dreadful, I went to the DOC to discus getting off the MIRT and he wanted to give me anouther pill (gabapinten).Im scared to take it, I did not want to trade one pill for anouther. I doint want to give MIRT a bad name as it pulled me out of a deep black hole one year ago. 

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.