Help please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am addicted to Codeine. I started over 10 years ago taking 30/500 cocodomel that was actually prescribed to my mother. I took it because I had horrendous wisdom tooth pain and quickly became hooked.

Since then I've had spells when I switched to Solpadeine Max but always went back to the 30/500 (my mother's prescription). I regularly took over the recommended 8 tablets per 24 hours just to get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Just after Christmas 2016 I cut back to Solpadeine Max and have had major anxiety including an anxiety attack at work as well as insomnia.

I stupidly didn't make the connection between my anxiety and the codiene and saw when I consulted my GP he suggested therapy and signed me off work with anxiety and low level depression.

I'm now scared to tell my doctor about the codeine. I'm worried if he finds I've used my mum's prescription I'll be in trouble or she will have her meds stopped, she needs them just not every day.

I felt so bad Friday past that I considered suicide, I only came to my senses (sort of) when I took some of the 30:500 pills.

My mum doesn't know I take her tablets as I'm her carer and handle her prescriptions. I'm just so worried about how my GP will respond and hope someone here can advise me.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Stephen. Welcome my friend to our little community. I am just about to go out so I wanted to say a quick hello and I will write more later. Have a good read of the posts here. You are not alone. There are some incredibly helpful messages here from people who are happy to give you advice. The healing starts here. Love Drew xxx
  • Posted

Hi Stephen

I am positive you arent the only one who has done this. Talking to my aunt, who has chronic pain issues,her grandson was stealing her meds. Tell your doctor so he knows how to handle your mums meds so it isnt a temptation for you and she still gets what she needs.

Trust the GP they see more than you know. As for suicide attempts you will more than likely ruin your organs before death imho.

This is the first step. Keep moving forward and good luck

• Posted

Hi Stephen.

I was on co codamol 30/500 for 4 years, & although it was an amazing feeling & great at the time, it's horrible to come off them I know.

I've been clean for 4 weeks now & I feel great! Sorry to say that the best way I got off them was cold turkey. I recently had appendix surgery, & realising that co codamol might of been the reason scared me! I didn't wanna be back in hospital with liver or kidney failure & it gave me the much needed kick up the back side I needed.

Be honest with your doctor they will help you, I went to a clinic & got very good help. They offered me buprenorphine but because I'd had the operation & had no choice but to go cold turkey I'd already done the hard work in the first week.

The first week is hell I'm not gonna lie, you will be restless & not sleep, diaherra, headaches, shaking & depression. But you must not give in to your body cravings you have to let your body re wire it's self in to a normal routine.

I'd you can't do it cold turkey, PLEASE PLEASE go to a clinic they will HELP YOU! Also tell your doctor.

I hope this helps. You must come off them. I didn't think I would be sitting here 1 month down the line & saying I'm happy to be off them but I am.

They will ruin your life & everybody around you & well as your insides.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Matt

• Posted

Hi Matt. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It is amazing to hear experiences like yours. I am trying to find the right time and circumstances to go cold turkey. Your story will inspire me and others. How did you cope with normal life during the first week? Did you work etc.? How did you function? Drew xxx
    • Posted

It's a pleasure I hate knowing that people out there are still suffering.

I was like you looking for answers & looking at other people that have kicked the habit & asking how?

I was signed off work for 5 weeks after my surgery so for me perfect timing to start, first week was hell for me cos I was going cold turkey. It was pure will power & determination that got me through fighting each day was a new battle of emotions but that's just body cravings screaming for more but you just gotta power through & focus on getting your body & brain back to normal.

Functioning was hard as I didn't leave the house for a good 2 weeks, I ate & drink when I could focus my mind on flims, xbox, & making my family proud with each passing day.

Everybody's different you just got to find something that motivates you to come out the other side.

Please ask for help from doctors & lots of family support.

Matt

• Posted

Excellent Matt. I agree... you need that space. If you had to work or deal with any responsibilities, it would be impossible. You are helping a lot and have made me determined to set a date to do it. Do you miss the buzz you used to get or is the freedom so much better? xxx Drew
    • Posted

I still miss the buzz sometimes as it was a great feeling. But you'll get used to not having to have it if that makes sense?

You'll find that once your body is back to normal youll forget all about it and start enjoying feeling normal & start to enjoy things as a normal person would.

You just gotta find what makes you happy to release your normal endorphins. I feel exercise helps me a great deal.

Matt

• Posted

I am worried I will miss the buzz. But is the buzz worth the hassle? xxx
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies it's heartening to hear that others have overcome this.

Thanks for the welcome Drew.

Matt I've tried cold turkey but couldn't hack it, didn't have the time or personal space to make it work.

Didi thank you for your words. I have to emphasise I didn't try to kill myself with the pills, just when I took 2 the suicidal thoughts disappeared.

I'm going to the docs today but don't know if I'll get to see my GP or someone else.

Thank you.

• Posted

Well I went to see the doctor and it went well. She was totally nonjudgmental and said she'd seen this kind of problem a lot.

She suggested I gradually weaned myself off the pills, I've been on 1 Solpadeine Max (12.8g codeine) and 1 cocoadmol (30g codeine) every 4 or 5 hours since yesterday evening and I'm feeling okay.

I've also arranged a chat with a drug recovery body and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Stephen

I am so glad you have taken the biggest step!

Look forward to hearing more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.