Help please....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been on venlafaxine for several years and recently had an exacerbation of my depresssion. My very lovely GP has raised my dose by another 37.5mg and also advised me to take mirtazapine (15mg) at night to help sleep. I can't recall my experience with venlafaxine before but I feel a little weird on the increased dose. More agitated or it could just be the depression I experience. I'd welcome any views. Trying other stuff too like swimming and cycling to fill the rather work-free day... I'm used to be stupidly busy. Thank you very much indeed.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been on venlafaxine and mirtazapine since July 2015 and I'm happy and sleeping well. I have my life back and I'm enjoying it. I know antidepressants can take a few weeks before you notice improvement so perhaps the increased dosage explains it. You should tell your GP how you are feeling and ask for input. I hope you will feel better soon. Keep in touch on this site. 

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

I would stay far far away from venlafaxine if I were you. The withdrawal is absolutely horrible. I'm sure there are other options with an antidepressant. But just be aware that it will be hell if you ever want to stop taking it.

• Posted

Bravo!!!! Well said Sara. 20 days free now after 15 years addiction. Tried to withdraw 3 times previously but was lied to by my g.p. Other non chemical substances and sheer determination have helped this time and although I am still suffering the side effects, I feel so much more optimistic. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.