Help please !!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone else suffered with pins and needles? For the past 4 hours I’ve been experiencing pins and needles in my hands and feet and also my face. I’ve also got really bad palpitation. Is this normal?? And associated with anxiety? I’m really scared x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes those feelings are from anxiety..and also ssris cause those feelings..
    • Posted

I’m on my 7th week of citalopram and never experienced these symptoms. I cannot seem to shift these pins and needles and thinking the worst. I’ve been doing so great and now I feel like I’m going backwards. X
  • Posted

All the time! They were what heightened my anxiety because I was convinced I was having a stroke or heart attack. They do seem to reduce but it takes time. I'm 16 weeks in and still get them but definitely reduced - used to be almost constantly during the day and worse at night so I feel your pain. Stick with it, they will get better xx

• Posted

I thought I was over the whole side affects but this is really scaring me. Like you I’m thinking the worst...heart attack, stroke, etc. Just had it all afternoon and no sign of easing up. I get shooting pains in my left and then it’s spiralled from there, pins and needles in both hands and feet. Do you have any tips to get rid of it? Or just to ride it out xx
    • Posted

If it doesn't bother ..ride it out ..it ain't going to harm you..

• Posted

i got that on the first week on citalopram every morning when i woke up i had that on my hands, side effect and is gone now!! 
  • Posted

Hi, 

I’ve not had pins/needles specifically but have had the strange feeling like electrical jolts. I have had palpitations before when on it but this passed after the initial 2-3 weeks where my body got used to it. I think some symptoms of anxiety feel worse for just that initial period and my experience is they have completely settled afterwards. 

I’ve been on and off Citalopram each year for a while and just accept now I’m going to feel rough for the initial 2-3 weeks on it. But if any of the symptoms are worrying you, best give the doctor a call. Not everyones body gets on well with Citalopram. Good luck with it and hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

This is my 7th week on citalopram so I thought I was over the side affects. Never had these at the beginning hence why it’s a sorry x
  • Posted

Hello, yes it's common for this to happen, for me anyway, and I don't have any physical conditions causing it. Anxiety causes lots of involuntary muscles, to tense, and restrict blood flow in areas, and tighten around nerve endings. The palpitations are likely to be caused by the anxiety as well, and you being concerned about it. Try some gentle yoga or tai chi, to loosen yourself up and relax yourself. Follow a video on tube to see what to do. Anxiety causes you to tense up all over, making it difficult to relax. When you are confident that there is nothing physically wrong with you, it will probably disappear. Are you seeing a doctor for Anxiety? Had anxiety years ago. Had 5 sessions of shiatsu massage. Anxiety disappeared for years, afterwards. Only stopped because of cost, at about £40 per massage. Felt bloody amazing afterwards, despite not believing in alternative medicines and the like. Acupuncture is similar, but shiatsu is better for Anxiety, as its hands on. It's done to you, rather than you doing it yourself. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Nigel that is a lot of useful information. I am seeing my gp but only for check ups and repeat prescriptions for citalopram. I will certainly invest in looking into what you said thank you so much x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.