help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

From the age of 8-14 i was seen at hospital for Scoliosis for years i would have xrays and check ups, since then nothing? confused! because i was young i only know that i have a lower curve of my spine (sorry dont know technical words)

More recently i complained of lower back pain which my doctor agreed and gave me cocodamol as nothing i was taking worked. I am also currently waiting for a physio appointment as my dr said that it may help? not sure but i will try it, however that has been 3 weeks and i still have heard nothing!

Since complaining of lower back pain though i am now having more problems, the spasms are becoming more frequent and shooting up my back and making me gasp when they are bad, these are slowly getting worse. Again i spoke with my doctor and he didnt seem concerned, i however am.

I am working and it is a desk job but i can walk around and split the length of sitting down. Also a hot water bottle does help when i am at home at work is slightly more difficult. I currently have to sleep with a pillow under my back so i am more comfortable. I am also sleeping seperately from my hubby as his matress is way too soft for me to sleep on. sad

This is driving me mad and i just need the pain to stop. Can anyone offer advice please?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

UPDATE

I saw the osteopath and she worked wonders on my back, advised i do have scoliosis as confirmed by my doctor.

She worked on my back for 45 minutes doing a range of different techniques, acupuncture, ultrasound to try and reduce the inflammation of the joints as i had aggravated those while trying to stay active.

Advised me to get a medicine ball and sit as up right for as long as possible in the morning and at night to see if that improves, have to say that although i was unsure at first this is working.

Although my pain will never be gone for good (here to stay and she advised i maybe prone to arthritis in years to come - joy thanks) i can only cope with it and try to limit my activities.

Sadly i can not do much without a rest - tried to push myself to hoover and wash all the carpets this weekend and boy am i paying for that now, could not rest last night think i may have over done it a tad!

I am not relying on the painkillers as much as i was before either, although my doctor has been kind enough to issue me with cocodamol for when i need them i only take them if i am feeling the pain really badly.

I refused the Physio that was offered when i rang them to change the appointment because of work commitments the receptionist got really nasty and also i requested a female physio she turned on me and said i could not have a choice! hmm think i do there!

I am going back to my osteopath in December for some preventative treatment so that it does not get as bad as it did before, guess i can only see how it goes.

• Posted

That sounds encoruaging Dawn - I'm so pleased it worked well for you.  I guess sitting on the big ball is increase core muscle strength, which will hold the spine in place better.  I hope you get stronger and stronger so find you can do more.  It is easy to overdo it when the muscles aren't as strong as they could be.  But wish you well!
    • Posted

Hi Chris,

That is exactly what it is aimed to do, although it is playing up today which i will never be able to stop.

I just have to learn to cope with it and try to relieve it where i can.

Sadly me sitting on my Medicine Ball at work would look a little strange smile

Thank you so much for your advice and help smile

• Posted

Dawn, I can't remember - have you tried TENS?  I got one and it took me from writhing around to no pain in seconds and three days of using it took the pain away totally until I went back to physio a couple of months later which started it up again, so then I used the TENS for three days and haven't had pain for months and months now.  Just a thought.  If you want to know what TENS I used, just say and I'll post privately.
    • Posted

Hi Chris,

I have not tried that as yet but will definately look into it later when i get home, think with a combination of treatments i will get there.

It is certainly more easier with seeing the osteopath though. only another 6 weeks until i go back again.

• Posted

IT's so good to hear of improvements Dawn.  Hope it gets better and better!:-))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.