help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have got black stools and am worried and not sure what to do.

Can anyone in here advise?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did you take pesto bismol? If so then that's the cause and its normal. Do the stools stick to the sides of the toilet? Does it smell different?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. No I didn't take pepto bismal.everything else is the same as usual, just proper black.

Have been thinking what I have eaten recently that may have caused it, but depends going food takes to digest really.

I'm not in any pain or anything either.

• Posted

it shouldn't really be black. You might probably have some intestinal bleeding. Was it only once? Or is it still happening? This can also happen when you take iron supplements as well. I once had dark stools for about 2-3 days I had forgotten I took pepto and even by just taking 2 spoons the black stools lasted a while which I only expected one day. If you aren't feeling any pain and the stool looks normal but dark just wait if not go to the ER and let them check it out. Sometimes when its serious it wont cause any pain until later it all just depends but as long its not smelly, sticky, abdomen pain you can't stand, etc that can be colon cancer related you should be okay. In this situation if it continues the most worry you can have can be you digestive tract bleeding which is semi serious but not really death threatening. Just keep checking on your stools when you go and how you feel when you have to push.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and reassurance.

I will monitor for another day or so and see my GP if no different.

Many thanks once again

• Posted

Unless you are taking iron tablets which cause black stools i should see your GP
    • Posted

Thanks Susan. I will book this week if symptoms persist.
  • Posted

1. You know that black stools are at the apex of a differential diagnosis that includes colorectal cancer. This is serious.

2. I assume you are in the UK or uninsured so the direction to see a physician is imperfect.

3. Get a fecal occult blood test kit. They cost around $20 for five of them on ebay.

4. Do a test. You will probably get a positive since most of us eat red meat. Thus our feces contain myoglobin, which can produce a positive result.

5. Step 2. Abstain from eating red meat and any other sources of dietary iron for 5 days. Repeat test. If rhe retest is positive then hie thee to the physician stat since you aeem to have an intraluminal bleed.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.