help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been signed off work by my gp for fibro pain as it is constant and really making working difficult also the fatigue is bad. My ssp is coming to an end and my employer is going to give me an ssp1 form.AM i able to claim esa or other benefits. Also do i have to have a medical assessment done.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Do you live alone or have a partner? If you have a partner then claiming ESA would depend on your national Insurance contributions in the last to years. If you live alone and are not entitled to Contribution Based ESA then yes you should be able to claim Income based. You won't be able to claim Income based if you have a partner living with you. Once you're claim for ESA is up and running they'll send you an ESA50 form to fill in and return with your supporting medical evidence. From this will determine whether you need an assessment or not. Most people have them so expect to have to attend one.

PIP (personnaly Independance payments) isn't based on a diagnosis, it's how those condtions affect you daily. If you google PIP descriptors it will tell you all you need to know. There's also an online PIP self test you can do, just google PIP self test, this will give you some idea on what you could possibly score. It's based on points for an award.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

You can put in an advance claim up to two months before your SSP comes to an end. That way everything should be in place so there are no delays, (other than the statutory waiting days - I think it’s about 6 days), to getting ESA once your SSP ends. I got contributions based ESA whilst still employed and on sick leave. Once my contract ended, I asked for an ESA 3 ‘change of circumstances’ form and got an income based top up, (plus disability premiums on my contributions based ESA after I was awarded PIP). It’s complicated trying to work out what you are entitled to but I found turn2us and other benefit calculators really useful to work out  what I could claim for in different scenarios.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.