Help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed as b12 deficient last June I received the 6 loading shots and then 3 monthly shots after that, I'm due my next one in two weeks and for the past two weeks I've had blinding headaches every muscle in my body aching pain in my left rib and breast and just no energy I'm getting really a cared regarding the chest pain it feels almost the soft tissue that's sore to touch but a deep pain also I'm terrified even although I've had ecg and that was clear I just feel awful and want some relief from this I also get really hot after little effort can this be due to b 12 also thanks in advance for any help 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is this the first three month period that you have had this problem or do you manage to "survive" to the scheduled 12 weekly injection?

There are many thousands of B12 Deficient/P.A. patients (like myself) that need injections more frequently, the problem is persuading their doctors to agree.

However the N.I.C.E. Guidelines do allow for patients with neurological symptoms to have injections every eight weeks and if you fit into this criteria then you could put this to your own doctor.

Click on the link, then on "Scenario: Management" and scroll down to "Treatment for B12 deficiency"

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJwpuVwuzUAhWTOsAKHXj8B3sQFgg9MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcks.nice.org.uk%2Fanaemia-b12-and-folate-deficiency&usg=AFQjCNFje3rEICwABYJ6ZJS4D-nMto5QTw

The symptoms you describe are a little different to those usually associated with B12 deficiency and if you have none of the below it would be best to make an urgent appointment with your doctor to rule out other causes

The neurological symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency may include:

? Numbness and tingling of the arms and more commonly the legs

? Difficulty walking

? Loss of balance

? Hands feel gloved with loss of sensitivity

? Loss of vibration sense, having to look down to see where you are walking

? Unable to close your eyes and stand on one foot

? Night vision 

? Memory loss 

? Disorientation

? Dementia 

? Extreme mood changes

? Short term memory lossHave you been supplementing with Folic Acid?

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body.I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply this has went on for over a year now I'm due my next jag in two weeks but noticed last week the muscle cramps in back of my legs and shoulders with a headache then the chest pain and rib pain started it's now at a level that's unbearable I'm going to try and get in to see a dr tomorrow I feel so scared as reading other comments I'm now thinking could it be my heart I do have high bp managed by medication 

• Posted

It would be good to get yourself checked over.by your G.P.

Take care now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.