Help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had achalasia for at least 10 years now, but I am careful what I try to eat. sometimes things get stuck, but I have always eventually got them down usually with cold water and fizzy drinks. i have had something stuck now since yesterday and its starting to hurt, has anyone any tips for moving stubborn food down? Please help!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the great and helpful list.

One thing I would suggest is that it is worth asking your pharmacist whether medication can be supplied in liquid form, or in a form where it can be absorbed into the body by putting a pill under the tongue. The answer may be different for different prescriptions, but for pills that are designed to break down within a limited time when they should have reached the stomach, the effects can be very negative if the pill is still stuck within the oesophagus. This is because of the strong chemical, potentially, acting on the delicate lining of the oesophagus; and the effectiveness of the pill being absorbed into the digestive system if it is not acting in the stomach itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.