Help please! Anyone had Myomectomy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies. I'm in great physical pain and mentally terrified and so depressed I'm about to crawl into the ocean like VW. I have a very large fibroid. I'm scared to know how big it is now but last November it was 11cm. Ever since I hit perimenopause it's been growing like crazy thanks to prob my screwed up low progesterone. And even tho I'm in peri, doctors say I could be still 5 years from menopause while this evil frakenbroid grows. I'm in severe pain and look pregnant even when I'm not having a period. I feel like I'm in an alien body, plus the peri weight gain. I tried everything to avoid surgery over the past few years ... vegan diet, acupunture/herbs, ulipristal and it keeps growing. I've been trying to avoid a myomectomy because of the down time and obv risks of scar tissue etc. I'm 47 so prob can't have kids but DO want to keep all my lady organs. Recently I was excited about a new procedure I saw on TV called Acessa. But then first of all, my insurance doesn't cover it and I don't have a way to borrow the cash (I'm alone without a supportive family or spouse), and then when I was researching it I came across a few women on message boards (not this one) that said they got the procedure and were told by their surgeon that it worked, only to find out a year later that it didn't work, and in once case the woman's fibroid somehow got worse. I realize that's only 2 folks but it obviously makes one nervous that they had the same complaint and were not told the truth and led to believe they were better while things got worse. So now I'm back to debating myomectomy. My fibroid is so big not sure if I can do laproscopic or not anymore, and I'm worried about taking time of work, surgery risks etc. I can work from home but not sure how much pain I'd be in. I'm not sure I could find anyone to stay with me and if I could not for long. Can anyone share their myomectomy stories? Thanks!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just realized you didn't have anyone to stay with you. I don't think you'd need someone there for the full six-week recovery, just in the beginning a friend or neighbor should bring you meals and check in on you to make sure you're OK. Not sure you'd need a 24-hour caretaker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.