Help please do I really have trigeminal neuralgia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am looking for some advice please.. since August I have been experiencing leg pain, back pain and numbness down my right side (numbness is not always there but the leg pain is)

On one occasion I ended up in A&E as I lost the feeling in my right leg and also numbness and tingling in right side of my face. I have been diagnosed with a bulging disc as a result of my symptoms. I have had an x-ray which showed an extra vertebrae but nothing else. I have been referred for physiotherapy.

I am now having electric shock type pain in my right cheek mainly under the eye area. I also experience a funny sensation in my left eye, almost like a crawling sensation. My GP has said his is trigeminal neuralgia which was mentioned to me in 2014 when I seen a GP about similar tingling in my face. I have asked if I can have an MRI scan and my GP has said she can no longer  refer,  also offered me no medication for trigeminal neuralgia.

Given all of the above should I be referred for an MRI scan? When I seen an extended scope practitioner recently about this he said they cannot waste resources sending me for an MRI and  this would only happen if physio treatment does not help with my leg and back pain.

Should I be having an MRI? I am concerned that the tingling and electric shock sensations are something more sinister and I am worried.

Could someone please advice, it would be much appreciated. Also I am deficient in vit d and my blood pressure has been high last 5 times it was taken

Many thanks

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

lord, it's been a long day, it's not fascia even! it's facet, i swear this time that's what its called.......

Nearly every flexible or movable level of the spine (with the exception of the very top vertebra) is comprised of the same elements, including:

Vertebral body, the bony building blocks of the spine

Facet joint, small stabilizing joints located between and behind adjacent vertebrae

Intervertebral disc, which provides a cushion between each of the vertebral bodies and binds them together

Other than supporting the organs of the entire body, the axial (midline) skeleton's discs allow rhythmic motions required by humans to walk, run, swim, and perform other regular movements. Additionally, the spine (so named from the bony plates that extend backwards from the vertebrae) provides a bony protection for the spinal cord and emerging nerves.

Facet Joints and Flexibility

To prevent excessive motion, over-twisting, or toppling over, the segments of the spine are stabilized by a number of structures that nonetheless preserve the flexibility needed to turn, look around and get around.

The facet joints, or joints with "small faces" are found at every spinal level (except at the top level) and provide about 20% of the torsional (twisting) stability in the neck and low back. The vertebrae of the chest area are normally far less mobile and permit a small amount of forward/backward and some side bending, and very little twisting.Article continues belowIn the low back, forward-backward bending is limited to about 12 degrees and lateral (to the side) bending to about 5 degrees. Lower back rotation is limited to only about 2 degrees per segment, since excessive rotation could lead to spinal cord or nerve damage.

At each given spinal level the angle of the facets varies from more parallel to more perpendicular, relative to a plane running through the body from front to back. Each facet joint is positioned at each level to provide the needed limits to motion, especially to rotation and to prevent forward slipping (spondylolisthesis) of that vertebra over the one below.

Each upper half of the paired facet joints are attached on both sides on the backside of each vertebra, near its side limits, then extend downward. These faces project forward or towards the side. The other halves of the joints arise on the vertebra below then project upwards, facing backward or towards the midline to engage the downward faces of the upper facet halves.

• Posted

Hello I have now seen a neurologist and have an MRI scan next week. He has put me on toprimate, has anyone tried this medication? i have read mixed reviews on these tablets!

Thanks

• Posted

my neurologist gav this to me as well but after 2 doses i had to stop as whenever i laid down it felt like someone was squeezing my chest. i don't know how to describe that any better...............

hope you do better on it then me!

• Posted

It made me sick where i couldn't eat but you should still try it you will know if its not right for you in about two ee8

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking them now for nearly a week a have had some side effects already. I will keep going with them for now until I see the neurologist again.

I'm due to start taking two tomorrow so I hope the side effects don't get too much worse!

Thanks

• Posted

Just feels like a little more tingling in my face and ear but seems to have reduced the electric shock type sensations I was experiencing around my eye. Also pain behind eye is not as noticeable. I also feel like my scalp is a bit tender but I'm sure I have experienced this before.

I am sure these things are nothing to worry about and I am making sure to keep an eye on any changes I am experiencing.

Thanks

• Posted

Hello

I have stopped taking the toprimate medication. I had a really bad headache yesterday and my eyes were aching. I've been to the walk in centre and the dr advised I stop taking them as they are not agreeing with me. Also they checked my eyes and said everything looked okay. He did mention that my right nostril looked inflamed and said I may have an infection.

Did anyone feel like a hypochondriac when trying to find out what is wrong with them? I feel like I'm going a bit crazy at times!! Hopefully once I have my MRI this will be resolved.

Thanks

• Posted

If the medication is helping with the pain in your face then i would keep taking it but if you

R having crazy side effects then stop

• Posted

TNhurtsme is exactly right

Concur with thus view

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Hi.  Last May I began to have a tingly, crawly, feeling in my right cheek just below my eye.  My face became very sensitive on the right side and in June I started having a stabbing sensation behind my right eye.  My right ear and nostril also felt like I was having an allergic reaction.  After 6 months of visiting different doctors I was diagnosed with Atypical TN, which means my MRI was fine but I had constant pain in my face and the stabbing/burning eye was the worst.  They tried me on several different antoconvulsants, but each made me feel worse.  I researched non medication options and found capsaicin to be super helpful.  Watch Dr. Hugh Spenser's utube video on capsaicin.  Unfortunately his mouth guard treatment did not work to stop the stabbing eye.  I used a q tip lightly dipped in 10% capsaicin and swiped it up my nose.  It is very painful the first few days, but after day 4 it stopped burning and my eye stopped stabbing.  I also used 1% capsaicin cream mixed with a dot of the 10% oil and massaged it onto my face around the temple, ear, and jaw areas.  I have almost no pain now, just a bit of sensitivity to moisture eye creams.  Don't get caught up in the "doom and gloom" messages and information.  Look for solutions and stay positive.  I found that much of my pain was coming from clenching my jaw and a chiropractor helped me get that muscle loosened up.  I should also mention that I did find some relief from 10mg of amitriptyline but am now off it.  I wish you the best.  Stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.