Help please, My tube intermittently stays OPEN and it seems most have it closed

Posted , 5 users are following.

IF someone out there has a problem with intermittently open tubes please respond to me. ALSO, will migraines contribute to this as well? Help I am miserable... 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I’ve been having this problem with my tubes for about 5 months . No migraines though. Been to ENT 3 times . He keeps telling me to do the Valsalva maneuver. Helps for a little while. Going back to doc in 3 weeks. 
    • Posted

Never heard of that maneuver but will be googling it today. Thank u. I know there is no cure as 2 ENT's have tils me the same thing ans suggested I get on some blogs/forums bc some tricks and tips that work for some people may work for me. So I thank you for responding.

• Posted

I believe that maneuver is to open the tube..Mine is staying open...so my only real symptom is "vertigo" so to speak. Ent says this is not vertigo, however the symptoms are similar to vertigo. It wakes me up in the night when I roll from one side to the other...the room spins, I get nauseous...

• Posted

Hi Kristin- I feel your pain. I’ve been through something similar. I find help in Chiropractic. My chiropractor adjusts my 1 and 2 cervical vertebrae. It helps but doesn’t cure it. Good luck. Issues like this can affect your life in more ways than you realize. 
  • Posted

Hello Kristincoc

What you are describing is called a Patulous Eustachian Tube or PET disorder.  I have had it for 2 1/2 years, found it very hard to get even a correct diagnosis but in the end, like you, have been told there is nothing that can be done for me.  My right Eustachian tube is open constantly rather than intermittently.  An ENT in April last year told me to put on weight and I did try that but even an addition of 4-5 kgs made no difference in my case.  At least one person on this forum has found relief from putting on weight and only about 3 kg, so if you are underweight you could try this 'cure'.

I do not have migraines although I have had what they call (or used to call) migraine auras, episodes of zigzagging lights in the eyes.  For me these started decades before the PET so I don't think they are related.  Also I have had episodes of vertigo in the past, starting Dec 2011 and ending early 2015 (cause unknown but resolved without intervention).  Again these were before the PET.  The first ENT I saw looked in my ear trying to see the movement of the ear drum with respiration but he was not doing it the right way; the second knew the correct procedure and did see the movement.  Both, however, diagnosed PET conclusively, partly no doubt because I had found an audiologist who did the right testing and produced the conclusive graph.  The first ENT, however, also based his diagnosis on the fact that PET goes away when you lie down; venous congestion closes the tube.  Thus your 'vertigo' symptoms when rolling from side to side in bed are not consistent with PET but with the room spinning and nausea it most certainly sounds like vertigo, despite what your ENT said.  I have only a mild 'disequilibrium', a slight off-balance feeling if I move my head too quickly etc. and this does not affect me when I am lying down so there is something else going on with you.

Now - tips to help.  That's a tough one.  In Melbourne, Australia, there is no one who will try anything surgically but I wouldn't let them anyway as I have read of such attempts that have gone drastically wrong.  Recently someone on this forum said 'bone cement' was the way to go.  The person's forum name is 'Dreaming Tree' and she/he posted in Jan this year; you should be able to look it up.  Others have suggested Patulend (expensive and helps some but not others) and one a nasal spray called 'ipratropium bromide 0.3%' (there is an article on this [apparently] in Healthboard).  If I am having a conversation, when it gets too much I tilt my head a little to the side and press on the side of my neck for temporary relief.  I am pressing on the jugular vein, I think, and this brings about the venous congestion.  Anything that increases your respiration rate will make the respiration sounds worse, so for some people their PET occurs only when doing strong exercise.  Sadly, singing has the same effect - my own special misery with this.

You did not say how you were diagnosed.  The vertigo and nausea aspect would suggest to me that you should have further testing or perhaps get the opinion of a second ENT.

This is a very long post.  Please do feel free to ask me anything else.  PET is a miserable condition to have in every respect.  Good luck.

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.