Help please on healing a anal fissure

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Ive been suffering with anal fissure for years off and on. Most discussion on here focuses on remedies applied to around anus. My fissure also goes internal a good half inch. Any suggestions on how to heal? Been using a prescription cream which has helped but hasnt healed it.it still hurts and bleeds at potty time.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Teresa496866,

I know this sounds counter-productive, but I had struggled with fissures

for over 3 1/2 years, and when I went on a zero carb diet, all of my symptoms disappeared in 3-5 days - not sure exactly because I just suddenly realized that I was pain-free and not sure how long I had been. There is a lot of info on the Internet and a great book by Gary Taubes: "Why we Get Fat and What to do About it". Weight was my reason for starting eating this way - I had no idea what a difference it would make in other ways. I had been in so much pain, for so long, I'd forgotten what it was like to live without it. Taking off weight is secondary now, keeping symptom and pain free is my top priority for eating this way. I know it goes against everything we're taught about food and fat and fiber, but I just want to tell you that what it did for me was not much short of miraculous.

• Posted

Thanks ray84210, I'm so glad you are better and that what you tried worked. I'm at the point I'm just about willing to try anything. I'm sick to death of sitz baths which don't seem to be helping like in times past. I've had a bad fissure before, pretty deep but with nitroglycerin cream and sitz baths, it healed up pretty quickly. this one isn't that deep so they tell me but it isn't healing up, It's gotten better but sure not well yet.  I'm guessing it's because I'm older now, I really don't know.

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

​Im so sorry that you are still going through this awful pain my thoughts are with you.

​I was in Hospital for a day re my Botox Operation and you are given a General Anaesthetic,and was told by my Consultant it takes about 10 minutes.

​So when you wake up its all over and pain free and was told it lasts for 3 months and not being in pain is incredable.

​But please read my report because you then have to change your lifestyle completeley

Hope this helps you.

​Clive UK ( BIRMINGHAM ),.

• Posted

Hi Clive, I was wondering about just what was involved with Botox treatments. The thought of a needle being stuck up there was freaking me out. I didn't know they put you to sleep. My doctor told me if the creams I've been using weren't helping then my only other option was Botox. he said i was to young for surgery as it could leave me with incontinence. At this point I think I could live with that better than this. I am trying some other things I've read on this forum such as coconut oil and I'm taking stool softeners even though I drink Aloe Vera juice every night with a big dose of fiber (metamucil) I've been doing that for years because I have IBS even that doesn't seem to work like it used to. So now I'm wondering what lifestyle changes I need to make? Not sure where to start with that one. Where do I find your report?

• Posted

I had dealt with a nasty fissure about 2 years ago, one that turned chronic and caused me to have to have surgery.

That being said, I am attaching a post that I put on somebody else blog with some tips on how to deal with it: 

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much metamucil as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there. Your goal should be nice soft well-formed stools.

5. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. you do not have to worry about this, as you are not in pain, but I just wanted to throw it in there. 

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after.

Good Luck!!!

Sincerely,

Myles 

• Posted

Hi mmarcus,  thanks for the advice. I already take a fiber supplement. I have IBS with constipation so my doctor told me years ago to drink aloe vera juice every night and take fiber which I do every night. I take metamucil. Even doing that, I still get consipatied, if it weren't for doing those two things, I wouldn't go at all.  I've had fissures off and on for years. I had surgery on one of them many years ago and never had any more problems with that one, I've had another one that was pretty deep but with nitroglycerin cream and a sitz baths, it healed up. But this one isn't going anywhere. The creams I've been using have helped but just can't seem to get it to the point of being healed up. I can't get the nitro cream anymore so they said what I'm using now works just as well, I beg to differ on that. My doctor told me my only other option would be Botox as I'm to young for surgery because it would leave me with incomptience (sp)  Now I've turned to taking probiotics to help with digestion and stool softeners just until I can get this thing to heal up. I've also been trying coconut oil so far, nothing has made any difference. I'm not in agony anymore but it still hurts  when using the bathroom. I've ordered a cream off the internet that I read about, it had really good reviews so I'm waiting on it to come, I'm hoping it will be the turning point I need. If it works, I will post on here with hopes I can help others. I'm a huge skeptic about such things ( I usually think some of those reviews are rigged) but I'm desperate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.