Help please pain in right rib area

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can anyone relate to my problem? Last year I suffered terribly from March to September- the issue then was severe throat pain with earache and heartburn. I eventually had upper endoscopy which revealed acid reflux, bile in stomach and gastritis.  I have taken various PPIs since then and Gaviscon Advance.  I also had an abdominal ultrasound which didn't reveal any problems.  I was managing really well until 6 weeks ago when stabbing pain in right rib area started - it is intermittent and sometimes progresses to full on burning in my mid section.  I eat well, sleep well but the pain is there as soon as I rise in the morning and start moving about.  I have bouts of nausea which is also intermittent.  My GP says she is not concerned and I don't need further tests - she has changed PPI again and increased the dose. I am a worrier and am freaking out that this is something serious - I google symptoms a lot which doesn't help I know - but these symptoms are new to me and I can't help worrying I am 62 and female by the way.  This site has helped me a lot - any similar experiences would be appreciated,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

get a x-ray chest done as it can be a pleuritic pain subsequent to the infection of ear and throat some infection could have traveled down and if not so an ultrasound of upper abdomen would be worthwhile

• Posted

Thank you so much for reply. I can't seem to get my GP to agree to further tests because I had an ultrasound 6 months ago - I am so tired of this pain it's awful today! She has reluctantly agreed to blood test tomorrow - hope it gives some clue as to what is going on - I have read up on gallbladder issues and it seems to fit but self-diagnosis is not really the way forward!
    • Posted

you should tell your gp that it's a fresh symptom after the scan ... anyway let me know the results and you may try homeopathy as well may be bryonia 30

tc

• Posted

Your symptoms are typical acid reflux symptoms. Medication will reduce acid but may not help with the reflux - which could be causing the pains.

The location, however, could indicate gall bladder problems (which can be commonly related to acid and reflux. I'm surprised you haven't been sent for an ultrasound scan.

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your reply.  Since my original post I have had a chest x-ray, endoscopy and CT scan on abdomen - gall bladder did not show any stones, endoscopy showed only chronic gastritis and CT scan was also clear - I am at a loss as pain still persists now mainly in upper back (right side) - its so depressing and don't know where to go from here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.