HELP PLEASE. What do i do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

so since june this year i have been suffering with chronic headaches. Feeling sick, pain behind my eye, dizzyness, head rush. They have been that bad i have to call in sick at work and go to ANE. Anyways, in june i went to the walk in clinic with this headache but because my speach was affected they immediately transferred me to ANE. I had bloods done, ct scan and they wanted to do a lumbar puncture on the monday. (I went to hospital on the friday). I had that done, i then had a mri scan. Last friday i went to to see the consultant. He told me he wants to send me to a neurologist because i have chiari malformation and he wants their opinion on whether this is the cause of my headaches / symptoms. (Not sure how long this oppointment will be!!). Anyway yesterday ive had this awful headache again where im crying in pain, i feel sick, everytime i get up i have a headrush and go dizzy. Painkillers over the counter arent working at all!! Infact nothing helps. Is it worth going to ANE? Will they do anything? Thanks for the help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerri, at least you have a diagnosis, and I know how you feel, some have blacked out with the pain. Depending on the out come of your scans ect... They do decompression surgery which is to release some of the pressure, I had this done, it has stopped that rush of intense pain. Push for appointment and answers. Are you in UK?
    • Posted

I know it takes time for appointments to be Arranged here, but sounds like you need help asp. I was offered all sorts strong pain relief, tramadol and morphine but they made me sick, I couldn't keep them down. Keep pushing to see someone. Hopefully get that appointment pushed Forward. X

• Posted

Thankyou. I did go to A&E but turnd out that they wont do anything for me and sent me away.. Told me to wait untill my oppointment comes through ?? x

• Posted

Yep, that sounds about right! I waited for appointment for pain management that was waste of time as they couldn't help. My worst pain was on a morning as I got out of bed and if I bent down I felt like I would pass out. Will your gp not prescribe you something a bit stronger till your appointment Kerri.

• Posted

Not sure im gonna try book into the doctors tomorrow.. Hopefully. But i went two weeks ago and sll she prescribed (locuum doctor) was diazapan to keep me calm for some rubbish reason
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, i am sorry to hear about your pain. Just like Helen said, decompression helped so much for her, and for me - THANKs GOD, i am now headache free, also drug free. yes, try to get your gp to prescribe you something strong - they used to issue topiramate for me..thats helped - others did not. Also magnesium spray is very good to reeduce pain but you can't get it of prescribtion, you have to buy it trhough local health shop - I used to rub it each morning and night before going to bed, but keep pushing and tell your gp that you can't bare it any longer ask them to speedy up your appointment with Neurologist - Good Luck

• Posted

Thankyou! Theres hope then.. Went to my GP and he gave me tramadol to try. If this doesnt worse he suggests morophine. But at the minute im taking ibutprofen too alongside tramadol. But still in pain and i keep haviny regular dizzy spells now..
    • Posted

Well if those do not help, worth mention about this topiramate and deluxitine (its anti depression) but it works also to calm down the nerve its Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor (SSRI)SSRIs can sometimes be used to treat other conditions, such as premature ejaculation, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), fibromyalgiaand irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Occasionally, they may also be prescribed to treat pain. It's thought that SSRIs work by increasing serotonin levels in the brain.

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter (a messenger chemical that carries signals between nerve cells in the brain). It's thought to have a good influence on mood, emotion and sleep. After carrying a message, serotonin is usually reabsorbed by the nerve cells (known as "reuptake"wink. SSRIs work by blocking ("inhibiting"wink reuptake, meaning more serotonin is available to pass further messages between nearby nerve cells. When you are unwell then sleep is very important, hence this medication is help (temporary) but they also have side effect on it - so just discuss it with your gp - see what your gp advice - I tried every thing prior my decompression - you named it, but I was suffered really bad, I even be a house bound, unable to walk properly - each movement brought such horrendous pain, I just could not cope any more - I have no Quality Of Life - now, this is my 3 months post surgery (in 2 days time) as I said before, I am free from pain, ache, drugs - I start to get my ilfe back - but I understand I have to do it slowly, lots of patient - start to do a normal life after feeling a bit better, that is the worse they can do, hence lots of them had to go back to have another surgery - I will wait as per my surgeon advice until at least 6 - 7 months before I ll do a normal day to day life - i am just enjoying being looked after at present (well about time - I normally who are always caring for my families) - So you look after yourself..try to keep pushing it - pushing it...pushing it...mention to them that you would like to have your QOL (quality of life) back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.