Help please. What to tell my son to eat and drink during a flare.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 22 yr old son in a flare after taking an antibiotic for 10 days and called me to ask what he could eat or drink. I followed with the same old advice: Stay away from white sugar, processed foods, greasy foods,high fiber stuff, spicy stuff, etc. Then told him he could eat rice, tea (without a lot of sugar)toast, applesauce, crackers, bananas, broths, greek yogurt, soy or almond milks or yogurts and to make sure to drink plenty of water and small amts of electrolyte replenishing drinks. Also told him to take a warm bath with Epsom salts. Can anyone suggest any other foods or helpful tips to comfort and help pull him out of this flare.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Would love to hear from anyone treating UC successfully with treatments other than medications(currently on an NSAID and probiotic) to restore normal gut/bowel. I have been reading about oils. Has anyone used these?
  • Posted

heyy i can only offer what i do which might help! ... Its not the tastiest but he probably doesnt care anymore! I stay off milk rice cheese fruit and cereal and egg but thats just my body. I drink filtered water (cos the chlorine affects how the antibiotics work) and I eat plain stuff.. Healthy stuff with nothing added! like crisps with no flavour, chips, mash, ( any potatos) plain chicken, mince (any meat that i like?) especially salmon or tuna! Mum makes me eat loadsa veg too. Carrots and peas and broccili. Lentils. sandwiches. I love sausage rolls! Funny enough one of the only things that doesnt make me run to the loo is fast food haha. I lay curled up in a ball to stop the pain. And listen to music helps me through any flare just takes my mind away from it. Good luck too your son:D
  • Posted

I didnt mean anti biotics i meant probiotics hahaa and try omega 3 oils? I have strawberry flavour onessmile
  • Posted

Thank you drummer girl. Nice to hear what helps you and I love all of the things your mum does. My son enjoys music also to relax. He is in a flare right now and just wish there was some magic cure to help this painful process improve.
  • Posted

always wishing for magic wands too! smile im really sorry he has to go through it but its a damn site easier when you have a mum who understands. how long has your son been diagnosed?rolleyes
  • Posted

My son was diagnosed at age 19. He has handled this sometimes very embarrassing issue with much humor and courage. I admire him and how he has handled himself. But I also hear his depression and his Papa and I can only love and support him. He has a twin brother and thankfully he does not have a problem with this but also is very supportive. I am just very grateful his remission last as long as they do. I hope to talk to you again and would love to hear more about you. Good night for now. My bedtime 💤
  • Posted

You too! youre very welcome and i hope hes on the road to recovery by now!<3 message me anytime :] message="" me="" anytime="">

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.