Help please with leg extension

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am nearly nine weeks post TKR.   I have been going to knee gym with physios at local hospital.   Last Tuesday they gave me an assessment before going for check up with surgeon on Friday and bend was 117 but extension -3.   The OT discharged me saying if surgeon was not happy she would reinstate me to group.

At hospital on Friday surgeon delighted with bend but not happy with extension which he says will give me a lot of trouble later if I do not get down to 100.  I think this is because I have spinal stenosis and he is trying to give me the best possible result.   Phoned local hospital who have changed their minds and will not reinstate me because she thinks he is being unreasonable.  She says their surgeons would have accepted.    She says go it alone and then she will review in a fortnight.

I am not very happy about this because I have to  be careful because of my spine.   Have been doing the lying on the bed exercise pressing backs of legs into mattress which I have in fact been doing since well before op.  Surgeon told me to press down on area above knee with both hands till it hurts.  He demonstrated and it did hurt!   But I discover I cannot get that sort of pressure because of arthritis in hands, or perhaps more scarily I am pressing wrong bit.  Last night my leg was very, very painful and I got no sleep at all so am unsure of my exercise.  I have also tried lying on tummy on bed with knee and lower leg hanging over edge.

Has anyone any good suggestions.

Angela

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi six days out from TNR. Up and walking same day of surgery, saw physical therapist (PT)  same day.  Second day started exercises, one (of several) for knee  extension is to place heel on chair, sitting with the leg level.  A 10 pound (4.53 kilo) weight placed Above the knee on the thigh. Hold for 5 minutes four times a day.  Hurts like h*ll.  but gets easier with time.  I ALWAYS take pain meds before PT.  this will help extend the knee backwards.  All PT hurts like heck but even after a few days I have noticed improvement in both movement and pain. 
    • Posted

Appears you are making great strides. I've never seen or heard of the weight above the knee but like a lot of things, if it helps, great. I assume you are icing the leg several times a day yo Keep the swelling down. My big concern would overdoing it and having a set back but only time will tell and your body will let you know if this is happening. One thing I have found over the multiple rehash. The brain will win out over the body if push comes to shove when you are getting back to normal. Keep up the good work.
  • Posted

hi there. I can tell that  massage  would definitely help before and after doing the exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.