Help plssss

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, my father is 54 and has liver cirhosis due to hypertension for the last 10 yrs. he is also diabetic. since a few days, his stomach has swollen and its hard to the touch. and according to him, he has been constipated for the last two days. so is it ascitis or bloating? also his brothers also have huge stomachs(pretty sure its a family trait). can you tell me if its ascitis or bloating?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am of the same age and With my past experience of ascitis I would say if his breathing is affected then could well be ascitis and should go straight to hospital
    • Posted

no his breathing is fine. he has no problem. but he has past experience of ascitis 4 yrs ago. now, he says he has no problem but he is constipated. my father is a strict believer of morning and night pooping and since a few days, he hasnt pooped in the morning and little at night. also he had a leg accident a few days ago and he has been off his feet for the last two days. could that be reason for constipation?
    • Posted

You said, with past experience of ascitis, what does it mean? what did you have?
    • Posted

I have liver cirrhosis and have been in hospital twice with ascitis ! My stomach swelled with the toxins my liver could not process so all the fluid stays in your abdomen causing pressure on other organs. I spent 2 nights in hospital with a tube in my side to drain the fluid away, not nice but necessary
    • Posted

how long have you had it? 
    • Posted

About 3 years but haven't been back to hospital in the last 2 years ! Mine was alcohol related and I have cut down by 70 percent
    • Posted

my fathers due to hypertension.your platelets counts, RBC,WBC are low?
  • Posted

Sounds Like ascitis, but im no dr. My wife has hers drained every two weeks.. 7to10 litters. she becomes very uncomfortable and hard to go to the bathroom, eat, breathing. ETC this can be controlled hopefully by diartics and low salt diet..
    • Posted

no, he has no breathing problems. he is on medicated salt diet. what does your wife have, if i may ask?
    • Posted

non Alcholic cirrhosis, this turned up after an operation for something totaly different in the past 6 months. She is under dr care weekly and they have started to increase her diaratics, hoping to stop the build up of fluid. The next step would be TIPS procedure if needed. Dont know to much about that procedure  except what i have resurched  it has some nasty side effect.  
    • Posted

my father's one is non alcholic too. when her stomach is full of fluid, is it hard to the touch or soft when she lies down? my fathers is hard when he is standing and soft when he is lying down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.