Help! Possible cyst but Dr not wanting to look

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum and it was the first time in two months I felt some sense of relief. Thank you for sharing your stories. I am an emotional wreck and in need of reassurance.

I am 47 next month and about 2 months ago I started experiencing armpit, breast, and arm pain. The pain was all over the place, radiating to back and chest so doc thought heart problem. It turned out not to be heart and then I noticed it all went away when I got my period and returned again when I started to ovulate. The armpit one got very tender on one day, breast is sore (like with pms) other breast is not. But things started getting worse. I ended up thinking it was a stomach ulcer because my stomach was so bloated, filled with air, and would burn if I had no food in it. That lasted 3 days and then the pain on right lower abdomen began. Just twinges throughout day at first to being constant pain that radiates to upper thigh and across lower back. Oh, and constipation too. Stool is soft but I have to strain to get it out. My mistake is I googled symptoms and went with the pages that only talked about ovarian cancer. My grandmother died of that. I went to my Doc. and because I was crying and told her I was afraid it was cancer she prescribed lexapro which I am not taking and told me it is in my head. I insisted on an ultrasound but I found out she only ordered one to look for kidney stones. She did an abdominal xray and said I was constipated and gave me a stool softner but my stool is already soft. Now I am in so much pain over my right ovary, right thigh, and across lower back and don't know what to do. Do my symptoms sound similar to anyone who had cyst but it turned out not to be cancer? How do you get the doctor to look for a cyst? I Begged her to at least do a pelvic. She was annoyed and rushed through it and said "I feel something but I don't know if it is a cyst or fibroid."

Sorry this is so long. Just hoping to find reassurance that I am not crazy and hopefully that cysts rarely result in cancer.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi sarah. i am 47 years old back in april i had my left tube and ovary removed from the pain that i was having that is similar to yours but i had the pain for a whole year i had a cyst that was enlarging so they removed it i had the bloating to where it looked like i was pregnant and the pain on my lower side and the constipation u need to see a gyn doctor and tell them to order a vaginal ultrasound that is how they see the cysts on the ovaries mine turned out to be noncancerious now i have one on my right side that is about 2cm i hope this helped if u need any more questions just ask

• Posted

Thank you so much Tracy for helping ease my mind. I've been getting panic attacks thinking most cysts are cancer if they come with my symptoms. I will definitely go see a gyno and request the ultrasound. Do they automatically biopsy all cysts if one is found?

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I just had an appt with a different doctor and he has ordered an ultrasound for tomorrow. I was wondering if you know whether or not a cyst can cause a period to change? Since the pain in my side started the time between periods is shorter (21-24 days instead of 26-28 days) and I am now just getting clots. The doctor was kinda vague on that and it made me even more worried like he doesn't want to say "that is common with cancer" and I am afraid to google because that makes me worse.

• Posted

that i can't help u with cause i am menopause i haven't had it since last year i am so sorry i couldn't answer that question

• Posted

Thank you for responding Tracy. I had my ultrasound this past Saturday and was told my doctor will have results in 3 days. Trying to stay calm is a bit of a challenge. I keep reading the positive outcomes on this board to help.

• Posted

HI sarah

im sorry to hear that you are going through so much pain i really do feel for you.

im 45 and had an haemarragic cyst removed in July this year. like you i went to the doctors a dew times initially i was told it was a water infection and given antibiotics for 7 days still in pain went back given different antibiotics (this was due to me complaining of lower abdo pain and needing to pee a lot!! finally i got to see my own GP and she rushed me straight into hospital the reason i was peeing so much was due to the cyst being so big it was pressing on my bladder.

its disgraceful how your GP is brushing this off as "all in your head" has she got super powers allowing her to see inside your body?? another thing that concerns me is how on earth could she feel fibroids and dismiss that too??

i wouldn't normally advocate this but if you are in so much pain please get yourself to a&e. cysts are extremley painful they can also twist or burst. and if you are still wanting more children you dont want it affecting your chances of fertility.

I Hope you manage to get the pain under control huni and get the treatment you absolutely deserve.

please keep us updated xx

• Posted

Amanda,

Thank you so much for sharing and helping! It keeps my anxiety level down. I will definitely post an update.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.