Help - Possible GERD or Silent Reflux or ???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help - Possible GERD or Silent Reflux or ???Hi.

Hoping to find others who may have been through similar or just to talk really.

I'm 32, Male, UK, Non-Smoker, Rarely Drink, In fairness poor diet.

I have had below symptoms over the last c.6 months. I have seen multiple doctors and finally referred to a Gastroenterologist next Wednesday. My doctor has said they dont think it's anything serious, more to put my mind at rest. Fortunately i have a work healthcare scheme in the UK which has meant i can get this private via BUPA.

Symptoms:

Mid Sep 18: Started getting constant Post Nasal Drip. Started throat/nasal clearing (i know i should prob resist).

End Oct 18: Started getting regular waves of heartburn sensation but throat rather than chest. Get it constantly for a few days on, few days off.

Mid Nov 18: Noticed occasionally when swallowing denser foods (eg: breads, potato, etc) it doesnt get stuck in throat but can almost feel it going down - not pleasant but not choking or anything. Could be underchewing?

??? Nov 18: Rarely but occasionally wake up with headache/migraine/facial pain.

??? Dec 18: Very mild occasional pain in ear. More a niggle and would probably otherwise dismiss

2 Weeks ago(ish): Started Omeprazole .

Last Week: Lump feeling in throat and sore throat.

PS: I regularly feel constantly tired but that might just be work and having a toddler!

Now I've been pretty obsessed with my symptoms, telling myself its 'going to be cancer'... which hopefully sounds ridiculous. The last week or so more so.... i spilled the beans to my wife last night taking about my obsession. Overnight the lump felt a bit better. Still there but not as obvious. I'm expecting this (& possibly sore throat) is stress/muscle related.

I have previously, but not currently been on citalopram (anti-depressant) and considering if it might be wise to restart this.

Has anyone been through similar to above? Did they get a diagnosis of GERD or Silent Reflux or something else.

It would be great just to talk to someone who has gone through similar.

Thanks

Ben

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just wanted to say I went through almost the exact same thing about a year ago, so I can relate. I first tried a "low acid" diet to deal with the throat issues. That brought some relief with swallowing and globus sensation, but it didn't help with my stomach issues (nausea, heartburn, etc.). I tried PPIs and other meds, but those did very little. I cut out common culprits like onions, spicy food, and coffee, but that didn't help much either. I then started doing a TON of reading on gut health and really recommend you do the same. I'm convinced I had SIBO or some other imbalance of bacteria, and for me a low carb diet has helped get me back to 90% normal. I basically now follow a keto diet while also supplementing with vitamin D, magnesium, and fish oil. While I was healing, I also took digestive enzymes before every meal, probiotics, adrenal support, and a few other things. I also worked HARD on stress reduction as every expert talks about how that kills digestion.

I wish you luck. I can almost guarantee there's no magic cure for you -- one thing won't do it -- but I also bet it's not something serious like cancer. I've connected with many people online who struggle with the exact same symptoms, and it's almost never serious. That said, I'm NOT a doctor, so be sure to keep in touch with one you trust and get all the tests the recommend just to be sure. Good luck!

• Posted

i have andcgoing through the same thing i have a gerd for ten years been on osmeprozol for ten years .woke up year ago wuth a horrible taste in my mouth .been ti gastro .had camera diwn said i had dyspepsia that i had to come of my medication.ive now been passed to ent go on18 but ive also been private and had camera up my nose and down my throat said i had lpr silent reflux .now going back to nhs ent

• Posted

what is keto diet and digestive enzeymes in due back to ent on 19 im not holding my breath.ive been reading bout zince sulphate and cekery julice in a morning

• Posted

The keto diet is a very low carbohydrate diet. It's very popular right now for losing weight, but it also seems to help many people who have digestive issues such as GERD and LPR. It seems to have helped me tremendously. One theory on GERD is that certain people have trouble digesting carbs that are hard to break down and instead "ferment" in the large intestines. This causes gas which causes all kinds of digestive problems. So limiting carbs limits the gas which limits these problems.

Digestive enzymes can be purchased online...I got mine at Amazon, but you can just search for the term and find them many places I"m sure. They're a pill that contains the enzymes your body needs to breakdown food. SO basically they just give your stomach a little "boost" in the digestive process. They help some people...

• Posted

Thanks both for your replies and advice. I'm m definitely looking into the gut health thing. Started pro-biotic drinks already although haven't read into that much yet but seems a simple thing to try.

Due to see Gastroenterologist Wednesday although suspect just an initial consultation followed by investigatory. Hopefully this will start things rolling and i can find out more.

Appreciate the reassurance @nick64380 !

• Posted

You're welcome! Good luck! Be patient, work on your stress (including not obsessing over your symptoms -- that was hard for me), and do read up on gut health and diet. The moderator edited out the titles of two books that were extremely helpful for me, so apparently we can't give recommendations. That said, I think general searches for gut health might lead to some good ones! It was very eye-opening for me as somebody who had never thought about it.

• Posted

I have had quite some experience with symptoms that are fairly similar.

Have you had tests like barium swallow and endoscopy? Even then, a positive diagnosis is only a call for remedy.

I think silent reflux, gerd and such issues are just six of one and a half dozen of the other. I stopped trying to distinguish after several episodes and interventions.

The most extreme end of the spectrum are esophageal spasm, painful gerd symptoms, unstable blood pressure and heart rate and even cancer.

Your quick attention is praiseworthy and I do think by working closely with your doctors, there will be nothing to fear.

A fat free diet, sleeping inclined and taking smaller meals more frequently are some of the steps you may take.

• Posted

I have had quite some experience with symptoms that are fairly similar.

Have you had tests like barium swallow and endoscopy? Even then, a positive diagnosis is only a call for remedy.

I think silent reflux, gerd and such issues are just six of one and a half dozen of the other. I stopped trying to distinguish after several episodes and interventions.

The most extreme end of the spectrum are esophageal spasm, painful gerd symptoms, unstable blood pressure and heart rate and even cancer.

Your quick attention is praiseworthy and I do think by working closely with your doctors, there will be nothing to fear.

A fat free diet, sleeping inclined and taking smaller meals more frequently are some of the steps you may take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.