HELP!!!! PREDNISONE WITHDRAWL,,,,IThink

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so I was very sick with upper respiratory stuff about 22 days ago, initially had to do 5 days at 50mg . Ended up back in Emergency after those 5 days still having trouble with tightness and wheezing so they give me another 5days same dose. Had to go back again with 3 days left of the 5 and they gave me even more steroids via Intravenous and sent me home with instructions to finish the last 3 days. Now Ive had to take prednisone before and always have the swelling and puffiness ( water,salt retention) start a day or 2 after I start taking it. and it lasts for a while after I stop but this time,,,,,,, the swelling and puffiness and burning and aches, blurry vision and every other negative effect you can think of has hit me. The worst being the puffy burning sensation in my legs and feet. Ive been to the doctor and started water pills and the doc said he thinks its the prednisone that caused the water retention but im so anxious about it and it is very uncomfortable right now. I finished the prednisone 6 days ago and this crap started shortly after that. Has anyone here experienced it like this???? my face is all puffed out too 😪 side note there was no taper and I have never had so many days on this drug before ( plus the IV steroids in hospital) so I dont know what I should be feeling or expecting.... All I know.is

Im scared.....

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I always get puffed up when put on a higher dose of prednisone (prednisolone here if I forget and mistype)

was upped yet again by my pulmonologist 6 months ago and my legs are like tree trunks and my stomach very swollen and my vision blurred and am permanently slightly dizzy, but for me that is better than being off them, I have 4 advancing lung diseases soI have to stay on the wretched things for life.You really should have had a taper after being on such high doses. My dog has to take steroids now and again and I even taper her down, half dose then quarter, three days each, other wise she is ill. Creaming my legs with a very dry skin cream every day really helps to relieve the itch and burn, water pills did absolutely nothing for me. Walking has helped me get some of the leg swelling down ( good for my lungs too wish I could walk longer) along with compression knee highs. Hope your symptoms fade soon.

• Posted

oh my gosh, thankyou soooooooo much for your response!!!! I really needed to hear from someone going thru this the same way I am. i have horrible lung issues as well. very bad asthma and I got hit with the worst upper respiratory illness that exacerbated it worse than ever before. Not one doctor I saw this time mentioned that the swelling and pain and other symptoms could happen or get this bad. I am an anxious person by nature and my mind went to worse case scenario immediately! I will definitely do the things younhabe mentioned to help myself ( walking, good lotion, compression socks) and see If I can't help the healing process along. Im sorry that you have to take this medication all the time. I know its a life saver but maaaaaannnn the side effects are awful...... Again, thanks for your response!!!!!!!!

• Edited

You are so welcome. Glad I could help. People re-act differently to steroids whether on them or getting off them, the worst cases seem to be when not tapering off after very high doses At the beginning I had no adverse effects at all, absolutely none even on a very high dose for 2 weeks, but on this dose I have all the side effects. My reaction has been since upping them by double (sigh) still not on the massive doses I was on at the beginning, though, hope I never get that high again.

• Posted

Well I hope we both feel a tad more normal soon because this is madness. The burning prickly feeling in literally driving me insane..... Next time this drug is necessary for me to take I will definitely remember to insist on a taper.... Clearly I will have to as not one doctor I saw even mentioned it....... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Posted

You are not the only one to have this reaction after suddenly stopping the predisolone, some one else wrote about a month or so ago, not the same symptoms but she stopped abruptly from a highish dose that she was only on for a week and had a bad reaction, no doctor seems to warn about long tapering. Hope if you have to take it again that tapering works.

That itch is insane isn't it,?almost restless leg syndrome, I sort of have it under control some what in my legs now, got a nasty, quite large reddish purple scar where I tore the skin and still scratched, still got the itch though milder in my stomach and hair, mine has been going on for 6 months now and unlikely to stop as I am still taking the drug.. The cream I use is made by Biogaran glycerol/vaseline/parrafin cream, very cheap, 4€, and very effective, you only use a little as it goes a LONG way. Just started my second tube after six months of daily use.

• Posted

Yes Its crazy. The swelling has gone down now but the burny prickly feeling remains along with so.e of the other symptoms. from all I've read from others these symptoms can last for quite a while. I will.be speaking with my doc about this but under the circumstances of whats going on with this covid19 stuff Id like to avoid his office right now.... But the burny prickly itchy stuff is driving me round the bend. alao my feet and legs ache and cramp up as well. like can I get a break?!?!?!? ugh

• Posted

Honestly, i dint think you have anything to be concerned with. Everything you mentioned is normal side effects for prednisone. The water pull should help. Sometimes it takes a while to completely leave our systems. Give it some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.