Help! Pregnant and having a terrible time......

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is my 7th pregnancy (God willing, this will be our 6th living child). In every other pregnancy my LS has either totally gone away until I am done with breast feeding or at least calmed down/easily managed. This time I am just dying here. I can't keep it under control. I don't know what to do. I am in so much pain and so uncomfortable. I had not been using much Clob because I was afraid it would hurt the baby, but I am desperate now. I am using it almost every day to just keep the pain and itch at bay....just at bay. I haven't been symptom free in 10 weeks. My doctor and midwife are really no help. I don't think they are very familiar with the condition. 

So today, I have decided to cut out gluten or sugar. I hate to do this because I do love my sweets and cakes, but again, I am desperate. 

My question, should I cut out both or just try gluten first? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for me. I have tried the baking soda, corn startch, coconut oil all with no help. 

Were there some essential oils that people said had helped? 

Any advice will be so helpful. I am 24 weeks along.......I have a long way to go. I hope this baby comes early........

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You poor darling.  Everyone says that it is the SUGAR which makes the difference, so I'd do that one first.  Every best wish.
  • Posted

I would cut out dairy, sugar and gluten if you are desperate for quick relief.  When you get it, you can then try eating one of those again to see if you get a reaction. Good luck! X
  • Posted

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it. Do you know if I should cut out only refined sugar or all sugar? Can I eat fruit or just stick to vegetables? 

This is going to be difficult.......

• Posted

I would say cut all sugar to start with - even fruit unfortunately (especially dried fruit). You can always add some low sugar fruit back into your diet when you have everything under control.  You have to check all cereals, sauces, anything processed because they can be incredibly high in sugar. Its not too bad once you get going. I find dairy the worst to avoid, but its worth it to keep your nethers happy x
    • Posted

I agree, sugar first. Not every molecule, just no big hits. It should make a quick difference.
  • Posted

Breads (any wheat flour based food) goes into your system quickly like sugar. I know this from having a son with type 1 diabetes.

I don't know for 100% sure, but based on my experience, sugar or flour is a huge culprit in LS. I'm 66 and for years I had vaginal yeast infections, from about age 24 - 53. Yeast thrives on sugar as you'll know if you've ever baked your own bread. In the end, my whole system became overrun with yeast, and that makes for very low energy. That's when I found a doctor who prescribed a no-flour-no-sugar (among other things) diet.

So I believe the solution is to get rid of sugar. It may take a while for your system to register the new situation and get better, but I definitely think it's worth the effort.

My thoughts and good wishes go with you! I hope this helps.  A

• Posted

I have cut out most sugar and that has helped me a lot. I also have had success with using aloe gel mixed with lavender essential oil. You could try tea tree oil too. They can sometimes burn right at first if you have lesions from the LS or from scratching but it stops within a minute or two. Make sure you get the pure oil from your health food store. I have had success with the coconut oil too though and don't always like the wetness of the aloe gel. I change my underwear frequently when I use the gel a lot. I also fog back and forth between the two. I hope that helps. I would do some internet research on any homeopathic remedy to make sure they are not harmful to use during pregnancy. Another thing that has saved me is my handheld shower head for really cleaning the area without using soap or having to touch the area. If you don't have one, they are pretty easy to get and install. I really hope you can find some relief!!
  • Posted

You poor girl.  This is the hardest - not being able to use globetasol, which will bring LS to a halt at least.   

Best bet perhaps is to cut sugar out totally.  And see what happens.  The result of 'no sugar' should be noticeable within a week.  Then try to cut out, in addition, the gluten.  Also look at dairy - my LS acts up when I eat cheese, for instance.  

Did you try Witch Hazel?  

• Posted

You poor thing!..I would cut out the sugar, do not cut out everything at once as you will not know what you react to!! but usually its sugar, for some its sugar and gluten, and for some its sugar, gluten and dairy, but that is quite rare I think.
  • Posted

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help. I am so thankful. Today is day 3 of no sugar and no gluten, and I am happy to report that I am feeling a lot better. Today is probably the best I have felt in 10 weeks! I hope this continues!
    • Posted

So glad you are feeling better today! Keep us updated. 🌹
    • Posted

Good for you!!  sugar is not great for anyone, and whilst not having Gluten takes some initial work, it is worth it!! and is actually easy once you get in your stride...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.