HELP QUICK Co-codamol Withdrawals

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys 

I’m really looking for some help. I am currently taking 30/500 co-codamol between 2-4 tablets a day and have been for the last 8 months. Was prescribed them for pain. Anyway, I decided I was taking them for the feeling and not the pain anymore. Came off them Wednesday and woke up today with the most horrific withdrawal symptoms, panic attacks all day. Went to GP who said he thinks it’s stress as opposed to withdrawal!! I need some help from people with experience, I’ve had to ring in sick and my little boy has had to go to his dads I feel so poorly. Should I taper down?? Would be grateful for any help :-( ps I suffer from health anxiety so am frightened I’m going to die from the withdrawals

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam you are not going to die from withdrawals from that amount of codeine for sure. Death is a far from regular experience for people coming off massive amounts of heroin let alone a small bit of codeine. However I understand how you feel. Your body and especially your mind have got used to the codeine over the months you have been taking it. It is a shock for the mind and body to suddenly stop having what they have become used to. Codeine seems to particularly diminish anxiety when you are taking it so when you stop it all comes back in panic attacks and anxiety. If you find it too much you can always take like one codeine but I think that will just draw out the agony I feel. Try to manage it with over the counter recipes like buscopan for the stomach  problems and keep as active as you can. Dont isolate which you sound as if you are doing. It is better to have the stimulus of other people than have the anxiety and acute sensitivity to every little twinge that you get when you are on your own. You can do it and it gets better after 3 days
    • Posted

Thanks John. Your response means more to me than you will ever know. I’m sat crying my eyes out, I’ve never taken more than 8 a day ever which I know is a lot less than some people take!! 

The symptoms this morning frightened me, I was shaking that much I convinced myself I was going to have a seizure! Once I’m free I will never touch these things again. Thanks once again. Sam x

• Posted

hello. are you still taking these? I have some advice for you but as its been two months since your post just checking your here still.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.