Help recently diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was diagnosed with LP this week.  The symptoms appeared on both my forearms about three months ago and gradually got worse.  I try so hard not to scratch but sometimes it's just so overwhelming.  I really don't know what's brought it on, nothing has changed in my lifestyle and my doctor couldn't tell me what could have caused it. My doctor has given me Dermovate cream, but after I put it on the itch is even worse.  Anyone that has advice on what alternative methods I can use would be very much appreciated and anymore general information.  Thanks 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear that you have been diag with LP.  The only creams that work for me are topical steriods, but I use them rarely as they are not particularly good to take regularly I understand.  You do get used to the itching and can ignore it after a while, but I do agree that sometimes it drives you crazy. I regulary moisturise, normally with Aloe Vera, but at times even this doesn't help as just touching an inflamed area can cause you to itch even more. I sometimes put a cold flannel or towel on the area that is itching and this does ease it a little. Good luck and hope that it clears up soon for you. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice,it's much appreciated.
  • Posted

Please type "Staph infections and eczema: What’s the connection?" In your favorite search engine and read thoroughly the recent University of Michigan scientific article.

Then, if you are looking for a potential cure in nature, type "Staphylococcus Aureus and St. John's Wort". If interested to try it out, please do read about the potential side-effects and drug interactions that the plant may cause for some people. 

I got completely cured of LSC/LP following a 6 month oral treatment course with 600mg/day of St. John's Wort extract. It only took 6 weeks for the plaques and itching to dissappear though. 6 months were required for the entire lesional/scarred skin to be replaced by fresh, undamaged tissue. No unpleasant side-effects.

If your LP is indeed Staph related, this might help considerably.

All the best.

• Posted

I've been reading information and have a question ....for years...really since i got 2 bottom molars out on either side of my mouth my tongue has been a mess.  I've always thought that it was the way I ate, possibly my tongue compensating for the loss of teeth and changing the way I chew my food, or possibly the position my tongue was in when I slept.  

However since being diagnosed with LP on my forearms this week and reading up on it, I am wondering if it's linked.

My tongue has cracks on the edges and some on top, with some little spots and the middle of my tongue is a little white. It can get sore by strong or spicy foods and I can feel my tongue hitting the gaps on the bottom where my molars used to be. It might be nothing and not linked to LP at all, but thought I would put it out there.  

• Posted

It might be. The only way to find out is if your dentist checks those little ulcers or abrasions inside your mouth for OLP. However, there is little doubt that any rough edges on your teeth will contribute to causing such occasional abrasions... Add a bit of bacteria, which is hardly ever lacking inside the mouth, and those abrasions will turn into ulcers that may have nothing to do with OLP.

What I think is particularly interesting about these new findings at the U of M, is that they would explain why some people develop non-temporary, but rather chronic allergic skin disease, due to the resistance of some strains of Staph bacteria. As long as your body can fight the bacteria that may colonize such abrasions, your ulcers should be temporary. But if the bacteria is resistant... Well it seems logical that you'll end up with some kind of chronic itch/pain, and plaques, that may then be defined as such and such incurable skin disease that no one seems to truly understand completely. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have joined LP club.  Ive had it with on anf with varying degress of severity for nearly 20 years.  Steroid cream has never worked for me, it just left me with big brown scars.  Antihistamines / hayfever talblets stop the itching frenzy for me.  Also a warm bath can help sometimes.  But the best thing for it in my exeperince in the sunshine.  If i can get a week in the sun somewhere, it pretty much disappears completely.  Not beinfg stressed really helps as well.  Good luck...!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.