Help red rash causing me anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

so ive had this dry skin happening to me for the past month really it happend once a month ago then cleared up but recently resurfaced after having sex with my girl friend without protection after the first time it happend i got std tested for everything and the test came back clear so i know its not an std how ever this is the worst its looked since then so its got me worried and with anxiety the first picture was after sex right after i showered yesterday and the second is after i showered today the bumps went down but skin seems to be peeling its not itchy or burning it was more like sore yesterday but thats really all it was kinda hot as well i just dont know that this could be or if its even normal since to be honest i hadnt really payed attention to my penis before since i only have sex with my girlfriend im 21 imageimage

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian sex with your girl friend she got a lot of hair or you have?

• Posted

Hi again I was thinking it could be common.

"Thrush symptoms in men might include pain when peeing or having sex, or irritation under the foreskin or on the tip of the penis. You might get discharge, a bit like cottage cheese," says Karin O'Sullivan, clinical consultant at sexual health charity FPA.

Triggers that can cause an overgrowth of yeast include sweaty exercise (particularly while wearing tight-fitting nylon sports clothing) and not drying the skin sufficiently after showering.

Certain factors and health issues can also make thrush more likely to flare up. These include a suppressed immune system, diabetes, a course of antibiotics, some skin conditions (eg, psoriasis), and a tight foreskin (circumcised men are less prone to thrush).

"About 1 in 10 men attending GU clinics have balanitis, and thrush is among the most common causes," says Dr Anna Pallecaros, consultant physician in GU Medicine at The Princess Grace Hospital, London (part of HCA UK). "Candida can be asymptomatic in men as part of their healthy flora (it's not a common finding in penile swabs)."

OUR PICKS FORCan men get thrush?

Should you clean your vagina? 6min

Is your lifestyle giving you thrush? 5min

Can semen cause vaginal odour after sex? 4min

Candida - an individual responsePallecaros points out that people may not realise how individual our responses are to candida and that everyone reacts differently to yeast.

"There’s a whole kaleidoscope of factors that will influence an individual’s response to candida and it may change at different points in time as well," she comments. "When I see patients I'll immediately be thinking which factors are at work to make them more candida-resistant or more candida-sensitive. Female hormones are key drivers for thrush. That's one reason why it's a much bigger problem for women."

If you have a tendency towards allergic conditions (eg, hayfever, asthma and eczema) that may also influence how you react to candida.

"We know that some people in this category can be more prone to skin problems such as warts and eczema and this can make them more prone to candida as well," says Dr Helen Mitakidis, urgent care physician group lead at London Bridge Hospital (part of HCA UK). "The local immune system in the skin can also hyper-respond and be too sensitive."

Can thrush be sexually transmitted?Women susceptible to recurrent vaginal thrush often report that it flares up as a result of sexual activity.

"Because thrush develops on the genitals, it's a common misperception that thrush is a sexually transmitted infection,” explains O'Sullivan. “It can develop after you've had sex, but it's uncommon for it to be passed between sexual partners."

Using an organic, pH-balanced lubricant during sexual activity and washing straight afterwards (with plain water or a bland emollient) can help avoid skin irritation which can trigger thrush. Using non-spermicidal, hypo-allergenic condoms may also be helpful.

"When men get symptoms that seem related to sex, women naturally wonder if their male partner is passing it back and that it's part of their recurrent thrush issue," says Mitakidis.

"Research shows that 20% of these women's partners will be colonised with the same strain of candida as them, but that doesn't mean that colonisation is causing those men a problem," adds Pallecaros.

For others, a penile swab may prove negative for thrush, yet they have symptoms after sex because they are experiencing an allergic, hypersensitive response to the woman's candida.

"A man's immune system may well clear candida without treatment," continues Pallecaros. "If you're a healthy male partner and your immune system handles it properly then exposure to candida is no problem. It's not only candida that's important, it's how your body reacts to it."

She is keen that thrush is not referred to as a sexual infection: "Doing so takes us away from individual responses and individual therapy and actually pushes us towards stigma and fear and not talking about thrush more openly."

Treatment options and where to seek helpGenital thrush can be treated topically with antifungal cream (and pessaries for women), or a capsule taken orally. Although these treatments can be bought at pharmacies, it is important to seek medical advice from your GP or local sexual health clinic for any new or frequent symptoms of genital soreness, pain or itching.

"If one or both partners do keep getting recurrent symptoms then it's important to get checked out so that other infections can be ruled out," says O'Sullivan.

Pellecaros explains that when treating candida some yeast spores can remain, as antifungals inhibit candidal growth rather than kill it. The presence of candida spores is not usually a problem; it is only when the yeast starts invading the skin,

Read next

Can after sex?

accination.

PHEALTH TOOL

Starlth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.