Help scheduling carafate

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gall bladder out 3 years ago. Recently started with right upper epigastric pain radiating to the back. It starts about 2 hours after I eat. Also i feel the sensation of something coming up my throat. So i went to the gastro and they said that it was Gerd. I was put on protonix twice a day and carafate 3 times a day. Because i take other meds like blood pressure the doctor told me to spaceout the carafate because the other medicines will not get absorb. And to take the protonix 30 minutesbefore eating. Has anyone ever taken carafate? I usually take all my other meds at one time with food . Any suggestions on how to fit in all the medicines . This is driving me insane . Thanks .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sunflower13

Take the carafate approx 1-2 hrs after taking other meds...let your other meds absorb first.. meds usually take approx 1 -2 hrs to absorb..

So:-

Protonix half hour before your 1st meal.

Then take blood pressure and other meds after 1st meal (breakfast)

Then take carafate 1-2 hours after 1st meal(breakfast).

2nd meal 1-2 hrs after 2nd meal take carafate.

Then protonix half hour b4 last meal then carafate 1-2 hours after last meal...

if you wait 1-2 hours b4 taking carafate your other meds with have time to absorb into your system.

Repeat every day. Starting with breakfast. Leaving 4hrs between meals. Using first half hour to take Protonix for first and last meal...

hope this helps....

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Sorry , I didnt get back with you sooner sometimes life gets in the way. Thank you so much. This has really helped me alot. I was so overwhelmed trying to figure out how to fit all theses medicines so that my main medicines would not interfere with the carafate. Hope you have a great week.

• Posted

Hi Sunflower13

You could actually take the carafate with your 2nd meal as you are not taking any other meds with your 2nd meal....

• Posted

Hi Sunflower13

As you are not taking any other meds with lunch take the carafate before or after 2nd meal....whatever your comfortable with....

• Posted

Hi Sunflower13

Just read the carafate is to line a stomach ulcer to protect from acids etc...so yes take before 2nd meal.....and before other meals...i'l get back to you with another schedule didn't realise what carafate was for.....

• Posted

Hi sunflower13

Take carafate 1 and half hours before you take protonix...then hour later have first meal brekki and then take other meds.

Then just carafate 1 and half hours before 2nd meal.

Then carafate 1 and half hour before protonix then 1 hour after have 3rd meal. Same as brekki......

carafate has to be taken first because it is protecting your ulcer.....leaving time in between will help other meds to absorb....ignore old schedule...try this new one see how u go....if not working check in with your doctor...best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.