Help! Shoulder pain!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve had shoulder pain for a while. Symptoms : right neck pain, right trap pain, right rear delt pain, with some occasional pain the front of the shoulder.

Pain can be sharp or stinging, but mostly a little dull.

Went for an exam by a sports doc. Nothing bad with x Ray. Passed all of his tests. I can’t afford mri, but he said he thought it was tendinitis. I don’t really like that answer.

Anyone have any insight would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's all good news.  Now give yourself and the shoulder some time to rest NO active activities; passive rom for a week or so and see how it feels.  GOOD LUCK!!

• Posted

PS ice as often as possible (at least 3 times daily) and use Ibrofen to reduce inflammation and provide pain-relief BUT REST it for a couple of weeks so you don't tear something!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been doing NSAIDs. I took about 6 weeks off of weight lifting with some improvement but it appears to still be bothering me so I will ice it and rest.

Side note: has anyone had a torn labrum? A trainer told me he thinks it is that but i don’t feel like my shoulder will dislocate or anything like that. Any experience with that sort of injury? 

• Posted

Did he inject it? I just had rt rotator cuff surgery. I had a lot of pain. It was time for surgery but it’s a long, painful recovery. Tuesday will be 6 wks. I still have pain but it’s easing up. Still on pain meds. I alternate between ice n heat. PT started the day after surgery and that was a good thing. I was terrified of a frozen shoulder. A lot of muscle spasms but meds had to help that. It took me years of injections, PT and finally I realized surgery was my only option. I’m glad it’s over n I’m on the way to recovery. I’m very athletic (surfing, kayaking, swimming). I will be able to do all of those but full recovery is 6-8 Mo TVs if not longer on shoulders. You need that MRI. I know it’s expensive but it’ll look at everything in more detail. Surgery is a big decision but for me it was my only option at this point
    • Posted

I didn’t have any injections or anything. I was just put through a series of different tests. I am just cautious about the tensdonitis diagnosis bc I’ve had this problem off and on for 6 years. 

I probably will try and get an mri, I just have to wait until my insurance kicks  in which unfortunately isn’t for a few months 

• Posted

So sorry to hear. Living with pain is no fun. A good sports ortho doctor should know if you tore or not without an MRI. My doctor knew and I only had an x-ray. I had a bone spur  

(calcium deposit)  growing on the back of my right shoulder. But that was not where the pain was. This is an old tear from  10 years ago, but he was sure that it was torn but he didn’t know how much. No MRI was needed. Once he went in there he saw that I had a 95% tear, much worse than he thought but once he was in there he was able to clean it up, put a couple of anchors in there too sew it together, and now I’m in  PT. My surgery was eight weeks ago tomorrow.  If I were you I’d get a second opinion by someone that is a little more experienced. Good luck with everything  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.