Help! Sleepless night after TAH

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi members, I am on my 3rd week post TAH. Need help - I just can't have a good night sleep.

I suffered from bladder problem (waking up every half hour to an hour for toilet) in the 1st 2 weeks and thought once it gets better, I would be able to sleep. I can control my urine now but I just can't sleep at night. My body are aching and I am tired of sleepless nights. Could anyone suggest what I could do? What herbs or medicine recommendation?

Many thanks...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi sue I feel your pain Hun, but it does get better. I am 8 weeks post op and now I am getting better, I may get up once for a wee but that's probably be wise I drink slot. The other things that wakes me is night sweats but I have discovered if I take paracetamol before I go to sleep it helps loads with the pains and sweats, but you can also take ibuprophen at the same time as the paracetamol for a double yammy against the pain.

Things will get better Hun I was exactly the same I had hip pain and severe lower back pain but it does get better.

Take care and let me know how you are doing.xx

• Posted

Hi Ann Marie, many thanks on your supportive replies on all my postings. Appreciate it 👍

I am allergic to paracetamol. Has stop taking all painkillers too. Now suffer with swelly belly (especially after meal), lower back and hip pains as well as sleepless night. These are consequences Doctor did not inform us before surgery 😕. I think my ovaries are sleeping from post op trauma.

• Posted

Hi sue, im 14wks post op and had probems with my bladder and sleepless nights, my doctor prescribed "phenergan" its an aergy tablet that majes you drousy, they have really helped me so may be worth asking about them x
    • Posted

Thanks Joanne. Will keep this in mind and check with Doctor on my 6th week follow up/review.
  • Posted

I just realised that I can take the gel everyday it was only women who hadn't had hysterectomy who only took it for so many days no wonder I felt bad I feel so much better on it
  • Posted

Hi Sue,i am 5 weeks post op total abdominal hysterectomy.i limit myself to drinks before i go to bed,i still end up getting up at least once a night....i toss and turn all night and am getting the night flushes.although i can roll onto my sides,i am still finding it painful to lie on my front,but then i had a drain in post op and i think its just tender where the drain was inserted.i am holding off having HRT,will see what gp says when my sick note runs out.good luck in your recovery xx
    • Posted

Hi nursery, thanks for your reply. Yes, the swelly belly and abdominal tenderness is our major concerns now. I find doing some body stretching ease the pain a bit.

Anyway, speedy recovery to all 😋

• Posted

Hi Sue 

I'm four weeks post op TAH and BSO had exactly the same issues, I know it sounds ridiculous but I've stopped having coffee! Hot flushes have decreased dramatically and over active bladder greatly improved! I'm also taking a tablet called menopause FX which i a herbal substitute for HRT. I think it's the coffee thing though as flushe cut down immediately following the cutting of this out. 

• Posted

Hi Joful, thanks for your reply. Yes, I think caffeine triggers frequent toilet visits and sleepless night. I stopped drinking green tea yesterday and slept for few hours yesterday.

I kept both ovaries and maybe still suffering hormone imbalances as they are chances of ovaries failure after op😟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.