Help - Suspected GCA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

This is a long story but I went to a Chiropractor Office 2 weeks ago for an assessment and subsequently (and regrettably) allowed someone to adjust my spine and neck. I was weary about neck twisting so I asked if there are any other gentle manipulation options. So instead he used a tool with 2 big prongs, and hit my neck about 5 times with it. To my surprise and anger, it was very forceful and not at all gentle. Right when I stood up I noticed my neck was sore on one side , but this dissipated over the next hour or so. Later that night, I developed a headache in my forehead that felt really odd , but of course these things can happen after a spinal adjustment. Over the next few days the headache moved around a bit, eventually settling in my left temporal area. Then the right temple started. This has been ongoing for 2 weeks now and I am quite scared as it feels like a lot of pressure in my temple areas, sometimes moving around a bit. I noticed the temporal veins very slightly protruding, something I never noticed before but could be coincidence? I also wake up nearly every morning with numbness around the sides of my head above the ears. The intensity varies and sometimes I do not notice it as much. I have tried tylenol, advil, and muscles relaxers that have no noticeable effect on the pressure/pain. I finally went to an Urgent Care one night, who then referred me to the ER when I explained it had been ongoing for 10 days following a chiropractor visit. Of course before this I had already googled my symptoms and was very anxious to learn it could be Temporal Arteritis / Giant Cell Arteritis. I mentioned this to the ER doctor who quickly dismissed it as non-sense saying I don't fit the typical profile of an elderly asian female. He suggested that it is a regular migraine or tension headache (which I hope is the case!) and wanted to inject me with an anti-psychotic called Haldol , which I declined! My ESR and CRP were ran and they are LOW/NORMAL, however after reading more I have learned that ESR and CRP are not always raised with this condition. I followed up with a family doctor who also dismissed it due to the lab work, and prescribed some muscle relaxers. I am at a loss of what I should do as I am very scared , not only at the thought of a late (if any) serious diagnosis, but also of the thought of taking Prednisone as treatment as I have already had numerous health issues, medication side effects, and I have severe anxiety since 4 months ago. I developed severe Tinnitus (ringing in my ears and head) after being prescribed Lexapro for anxiety, so now I am very scared to try other medications as nearly all of them are ototoxic. And I am only 35.

Questions: How likely is it that I have TA/GCA? Is severe tension headache more likely? I suppose my neck could be spasming causing it - however I do not have any pain in my neck. Is it possible the force into my neck triggered some inflammatory/autoimmune reaction that has resulted in TA/GCA??

Is the pain/pressure associated with GCA constant or can it let up at times? It does not feel "throbbing" nor is it constant but seems to come and go randomly and sometimes moves to different areas.

Are there any other indications or ways to test if this is GCA versus a tension headache?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

If I were you I would try to see a doctor as soon as possible. Your chiropractor may have caused some (hopefully temporary) nerve damage. I know covid creates some challenges, but your symptoms have been worsening so you really ought to see a properly qualified medical doctor.

I know some people swear by chiropractors and I'm sure some are very good. But my father was a general practitioner and he not infrequently would mention a patient who had gone to a chiropractor for treatment for back pain, for example, and returned to him much worse off than before.

Next time, maybe a physiotherapist instead?

• Posted

Thanks. The pain has actually lessened , but i still feel some pressure currently in my left temple. It has been warmer this week so i'm not sure if that has something to do with it, but I am hoping (and praying) it continues to improve.

Hoping I get some more responses that can help ease my mind. I admit I do have health anxiety but i've experienced so many bizarre symptoms this year that I don't know what to believe anymore. I also have learned that I have compound MTFHR gene mutations that put me at increased risk for a variety of health issues.

Are there any sure ways to differentiate GCA from Tension headache?

• Posted

I believe that GCA is a very "different" kind of headache, and far worse than the usual tension headache. I don't have GCA so I wouldn't know. I don't believe it is ever caused directly by injury. It is an autoimmune disease. Have you taken any of the usual over the counter painkillers?

A much more active PMR/GCA health community can be found in HealthUnlocked.

• Edited

I've had painful tension headaches before but they were always at the back of my head and neck. I've never experienced a headache like this before at the temples and sides of my head. It's not always painful but seems to get worse as the temperature drops. OTCs like Tylenol and Advil are having no effect. I will check out HealthUnlocked. Thanks.

• Posted

"the ER doctor who quickly dismissed it as non-sense saying I don't fit the typical profile of an elderly asian female"

Someone had his facts rather mixed up. GCA and PMR are most common in Caucasians, with a ratio of women to men of about 2:1. The incidence is very low in black and Asian ethnicities. Takayasu's arteritis is histologically identical to GCA but is found mainly in younger females, 40 and under. There is a mistaken belief it only occurs in Asian women - probably because it was first described in Japan but in fact it is found in all ethnicities.

You might find this helpful

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25288850/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.