Help! Suspected to hav PE for awhile. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Still not better after treatment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello so please don't judge me. I suspect I have pulmonary embolism because I randomly had shortness of breath and chest pains severely. Also might I say I inject suboxene (horrible I know) and it's been a year. My veins in my forearms are very hard. Lately it's been hard to find veins. And every time I do the syringe gets stuck which I believe with a blood clot. I get a blood clot stuck every time I find a vein. Which has been going on for couple

Months. My symptoms started a week and a half ago. It was so bad I went to the hospital nervous because I don't want the doctors knowing bout my drug problem. But when I went all they did was a chest exray and no iv fluids doctor told me I had pneumonia. Prescribed a z pack for 4 days I believe or 5 with norco (now the only drug I do is suboxene) norco was for my severe pain in my ribs and chest and back ribs. Now I didn't notice COUGHING up blood in mucus cuz I just didn't look but then I read symptoms for pneumonia and realized I'm coughing lil blood but after I finished my antibiotics. And the blood in the mucus seems like a tiny clot but then again idk because mucus is thick. So anyways pls don't respond with get a check up. I defiantly will but am I over reacting? I really only want to go if I'm like 80% sure because 1. No insurance. 2. Don't wanna get caught with drug iv use( I am slowing down to stop). Ask me any questions possible.! To help me determine this

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Stacy -

I'm assuming since you mention insurance that you live outside of the UK. First of all, remember that physicians are there to assist you, not judge you, although of course, they do. But any time you see one and they seem to be judging you, you can remind them of that. I don't know what the laws are there for reporting substance abuse either, but physicians are required to respect patient confidentiality here.

A blood clot is detected with blood tests - primarily D-dimer - and a special type of CT scan. The most important thing at the moment is to have a D-dimer test. I will say that I was treated for asthma before my PE was properly diagnosed. However, despite having multiple clots in both lungs, blood in mucous was never a symptom. 

The primary symptom of PE is breathlessness. With my PE, I became so breathless that I could not walk more than a few steps without stopping to catch my breath. My lips were blue. Are you still breathless after your course of antibiotics

In any case, you know what I'm going to say - if you suspect pulmonary embolism, you must seek medical attention. It is a life threatening condition. Do you live somewhere with a health clinic for people without insurance or a public hospital? If you are still breathless and having chest pain, you need to request a D-dimer test. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I always say id rather be in debt the rest of my life then dead. It does not matter if you have insurance. Whatever it is you need to find out. Go to the doctor tell them you have a family history of p.es and get them to do a ct scan.
  • Posted

Who am I to judge? I am obese! The most legal killer of all! Food is the one drug people need daily and abuse constantly!

I will pray for you though because it isn't safe for you. Just as I pray daily for a cure for my addiction.

Coughing up any blood isn't good it could be coming from your lungs or even an irritated place in your esophagus, (low in your throat). You are right to get it checked. Do you smoke ciggerettes? Have reflux? My son did an my goodness the pictures of his throat were awful!

Do you have shortness of breath? Chest pressure? There is a blood test they did on me that showed my heart was under a little stress that's why they did the cat scan looking for the PE. I guess there are a list of things they check off.

Don't judge the hospital either. They are there to help you tell them all you know. If you don't tell them a symptom they can miss a diagnosis.

• Posted

Stacy,

Your symptoms are very similar to mine. I attended emergency with chest pains, coughing up globs of blood and breathlessness - only to be sent home with diagnosis of pneumonia. I was back in emergency 6 days later with multiple pe's diagnosed.

I would advise getting checked over to be on the safe side. 

Good luck!

Peter

• Posted

Be sure to get checked, if you are concerned. No judgment here. I'm a nurse. I've also had a PE. It's better to be honest with the hospital/doctors so that they can treat you properly. They may or may not judge you, but they aren't supposed to. And it shouldn't affect the way the "treat" you. It's always better to be safe. They could draw a d-dimer, but you may need a CT scan. I understand the nature of addiction and I really hope you can get clean. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Stacy,

I had pneumonia last year in my right lung and another one 2 years ago in my left lung. I coughed up blood took lots of antibiotics last year 3 boxes, didn't really help, I have had pain in my ribs both years and I have had several CT's and one of them showed a smallish blood clot at the bottom of my right lung last May. But I didn't have any shortness of breath, breathlessness, sharp pain in my chest and my carves was normal. I visited the GP quite often last year because of the pneumonia and she always asked me and checked my carves. So coughing up blood can be because of the pneumonia, or because of the blood clot or it may be other reason I don't know.. And as I have had no symptoms that I have blood clot, you may also have, so like the others suggested go to the doctor and ask them to check you. My grandfather died because of Pulmonary embolism, so it can be serious.

Hope I could help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.