Help! The sun is angry at me!

Posted , 2 users are following.

For many years now when I get out in the sun for any length of time (say longer than 30 minutes), I start breaking out in a rash. I've always just written it off as a sun allergy and used my little steroid cream and it was all fine and dandy. (I'm not one to spend much time in the sun as I come in two skin tones: paranormal pale and tomato, burned red. I don't want to sound like I am making fun of the paleness because I love it and am proud of my super light tone!)

Anyway, fast forwarding...I break out no matter what time of year and each time it's just as bad as the time before. Fed up, I go to a dermatology. She initially diagnosis it as Polymorphous Light Eruption and then take a sample for biopsy. She calls me later in the week and tells the sample has come back as eczema and not PMLE. She suggests that I am probably allergic to one of the ingredients in sunscreen and I should do skin patch testing. (I wasn't so sure that was the case as I have worn many different versions of sunscreen over the years and I wear sunscreen every day, yet I only break out on those days when I am out in the sun for 30+ minutes). So, I agree to do the testing. Last week, we do the testing. I have absolutely ZERO reaction to any of the ingredients in sunscreen, although I did find out I have an allergy to gold which lead to some funny, although slightly annoying James Bond (Goldfinger, Golden Gun) jokes from my friends. The dermatologist basically just left it at "well, I don't know what it is. Here's your steroid cream. Bye!"

So, while the steroid cream helps calm down the rash, I still don't what's going on. I've lived with it this long so it's not the end of the world if I don't officially know and it doesn't have some nice little title, but it would be nice to know if there is an official proper diagnosis for it so that maybe I could be proactive in dealing with it. I'm here in the US and we officially have the WORST sunscreens on the planet (literally) so I won't claim that I might have gotten some from the UK that are superior are much more effective. Other than those grand and glorious sunscreens that I don't claim to have, I'm stuck bathing myself in steroid cream and being rashy (not to mention, people look at you like you have the plague) or becoming a modern day vampire and only going outside at night.

I am so sorry this is so long! It's a plea for help/advice. Anyone know what I can do next? I live in the American Southeast (moving to the Northeast before long) and it sounds silly, but I really don't know if this is a problem they see much down here. (Most people here are tan or trying to get tan. Everyone seems to be a beach fanatic and are the outdoorsy type. The bad part is that skin cancers run rampant.)

Thank you all!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.