Help - thinking of taking the plunge and getting band fitted but dont know where to start!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I have been thinking about having a gastric band fitted for some time now and really dont know where to start. How do you decide where to go? You hear good and bad stories about most places its all very confusing. Im 8 stone overweight and have tried many diets over the years but need some extra help and support I think.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi MrsHumphrey,

I am getting my band fitted on Saturday. I decided to go with Healthier Weight but I'm not sure there is any firm reason why... I did a lot of research and they were the company I always seemed to come back to. They have a lot of you tube videos as well which were helpful. The surgeons all seem experienced in bariatrics too. They've always been nice and helpful on the phone and the after care package is Good.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will give details on other companies to help you smile

• Posted

Hey Angelstar! You got banded Saturday the 31st by healthier weight? Me to! We're you in London?
    • Posted

Hi, I'm in Glasgow. are you still in hospital? I am but can't sleep on my back. Doh! Gonna be a long night! Hope you got on well!
    • Posted

Hey angel, I'm not sleeping for some time either! I went home same day! How are you feeling? In any pain? I am doing pretty well, not in much pain just feel a little swollen
    • Posted

Same here. Feeling it when I try and get up and some trapped wind but not much at all. Hopefully it lasts!!!
  • Posted

Hello Mrs H 

i recently had had my band fitted by Healthier Weight also.  I did a lot of research and I decided they were very experienced and offered a good service.  My doctor said it was important to find an experienced surgeon and mine, who is called Mr Favretti has performed in the region of 10 thousand band procedures over the past ten years or so. He was also involved with the development of the band I believe...   His credentials sold Healthier Weight to me.  I have noticed that different companies give our quite different advise with regard to diet before and after, and rules about liquid diet around fill in times etc ...  although the pre op diet  is partly down to your starting BMI I think it is still worth looking at this and seeing which you think might suit you too.  

It it is very difficult to choose when everyone claims to be the best in their field!! 

The other thing to think about is location with regard to in fills - it may be fine to travel for the operation but you may not want to do this on an ongoing basis.....

Good Luck I'm sure you will make a good choice !  

Regards 

Rosie x 

• Posted

Yes I agree Rosie, I've got Simon Gibson who researched the band in Australia - so I think healthier weight definately pick their surgeons well smile
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies. I cant actually afford to do anything until next year but the more I look into it the more I feel its something I can do.
  • Posted

Hi. I was at the same stage as you, weight 17.5 stone and needed to lose 8. Have tried everything over the years, spent a fortune! I decided to have a band fitted and had it done a week ago. I've already lost half a stone. It's a big decision but at 52 I decided that it was now or never. I had mine done by a Mr Sutton at The Spire in Leicester and looked him up and he is very well rated. Good luck.
  • Posted

I had my band fitted in late November and have lost 2 stone so far.  I also went with Healthier weight - had the Op in Birmingham as it was cheaper than Manchester but my after care fills are in Manchester.  I read up quite a bit and thought they were the ones to go with.  I havent been disapointed at all x 
  • Posted

I'm near Newcastle. Is there anyone in the North East who has had band fitted?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.