help to come off venlofaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have been on 225 mg of this horrible drug for 4 years and am now desperate to come off it. Is there a safe formula to do it without side effects. I take 150 in the morning and 75 at night. Be grateful for any advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Reduce it slowly. Going to take at least 11/12 months. 4 years is a long time so don't rush. Some people reduce the efexor and take Prozac alongside to help with Withdrawel xx
  • Posted

I came off Venlafaxine.  It is not a horrible drug,  but assume you are sayint that because withdrawal ius difficult.

I came off over 10 months and had no withdrawals at all.  Do it slowly and gradually.  Does not matter how long it takes if you don't get withdrawals which can be bad.  Yes the safe formula is SLOWLY SLOWLY. 

Perhaps you need help from your doctor with this.  Mine helped at first, but eventually, as I reduced lower and lower I formulated my own plan.  You are on a high dose, so just reduce by a small amount at a time.  Never just stop, lower and lower the amount you are taking.  I took generic pills in the later stages and cut them into smaller and smaller doses until I was tsaking a few crumbs on a finger tip.

18 months since I stopped and I am doing well. 

• Posted

Hi. I recently have come off of Venlofaxine after being on it for over 10 years. First I cut back to .75 ml from 225 ml, gradually. Then I only took .75 ml every second day. Giving this several months, I then went to my Dr and got a perscription for 37.5 ml, which I took for several days and then every second day for a short time and after that was able to go off them completely with no side effects. 
    • Posted

That's fabulous. Well done you. I'm on 150mg slow release. Do you think dropping to 75mg per day for a few months is a good reduction? X
    • Posted

What my doctor told me to do was take 150mg one day and 75mg the next day, and carryon on like this for at least a couple of months.  Then go onto the 75mg for another couple of months.  Then take 75mg and 37.5mg alternately for a couple of months.  Never miss a day as your body will not know what is happening to it. 

I then went onto generic pills and cut them into smaller and smaller doses.  Took me 10 months to withdraw but I got no withdrawals at all.  18 months since I quit and I am fine. 

The other Anne did it slightly differently.  Hopefully you will work out which is the best method for you.  Neither of us got any withdrawals so both methods do work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.