Help to cope day 2 day...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone found out anything to try and help CFS?

I'm having more good days than bad atm but I want to be stable to go back to work as I haven't worked for 2years.

Would like some different opinions.

Thanks ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my solution has been pacing. I cycled 60 miles recently and could now work if I wanted to. I gave it up to fix my CFS and so pleased that I did. 

I would say that I pace everyday and am vey careful to not over do it. When I do, its off to bed for a couple of days to rest. 

Best of luck 

• Posted

Thank you for this post.  It is wonderful when recovering people remain part of these forums.  It SO helps people who cannot imagine they will ever feel better.  

• Posted

I've been suffering for almost 4 years now but only accepted the cfs label recently. I've battled with it, trying to work, initially full time but for the last year part time. I'm a determined person and always look for ways to make things better. This has led me to make so many changes to my life over these years, I think some have helped but the quest for a 'cure' whether that be a diet, exercise, therapy, diagnosis... had been exhausting and I think has contributed to my fatigue. What I have learned is to try accept how I feel in any given day and to stop fighting it. To change my plans if I feel the fatigue or the early signs of it that I get. I have found this really difficult and still struggle when there's something I really want to do or feel I have to. This obviously makes work difficult but I'm trying to just accept I'll be off sick when I have to be and stop feeling that I have to push. I'm currently off sick and have accepted I will be until I feel well. Once I allowed myself this, something did change a bit; I feel a bit lighter with permission to be sick.

It sounds like you have improved a lot. Do you know what has helped you get to this point? I find it's helpful to know what are my triggers and what can help.

The main thing that I do that I find always helps is meditation. I started about 3 years ago and it took me a long time to get into it and do it regularly. I do a type called yoga nidra and find I feel more rested from 20 mins of that than 10 hours sleep. It's the only thing that makes me feel better. I'm using a program developed by Karen Brody called Daring to Rest and I couldn't recommend it enough. I feel it's been life changing for me. It probably won't be everyone's cup of tea but it's just been exactly what I've needed. You can try a free meditation on her website and her book is about £10.

I hope you find some things that help you get to where you want to.

• Posted

Hi Danielle

What type of work do you do? I haven't worked for 21yrs . had to take ill health retirement from nursing. I wouldn't be able to do any type of work let alone nursing. Things you have to think about....not only the actual work, but getting up, getting dressed and sorting yourself out. Then travelling to work. Working how ever many hours and interacting with people ,then travelling home again to probably having to make a meal. It all adds to the equation.

If you do feel like trying work after a while, would be best to start very gradually. A couple of hours once or twice a week. Less than even part time and build up as you feel you can. If you are finding more good days than bad days at the moment , then go with that until you feel hardly any bad days. Then you can assess your situation. But don't push yourself too hard.

Everyone finds different things that help them. What does for one doesn't for others. Nothing has dramatically helped me in all these years. Infact I have deteriorated. Pacing is a must and I don't even do that properly most of the time ! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.