Help to stop drinking

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

I wish I have someone who really loves me to share these. I initially started drinking for fun with my friends when I was 15. Later I fell in love with a girl which was really healthy I was ready to do anything for her. Life seemed to be perfectly good for around three years until a day where the girls parents did not accept our relationship since we belonged to a different religion. Since we are from traditional country no offense. The circumstances made the girl to break the relationship with me. I ended up drinking almost everyday where my age was 17. Days weeks months and years passed by then I met a girl initially it started as a friendship and ended up falling for her though I was not able to quit drinking. She knows everything about my past about my ex she wants me to quit drinking which I'm not able to do. I lied to her many times that I had quit drinking but I really did not but I want to. I have a strong feeling if she is married to me and if I can spend every day and minutes with her I will really give up drinking. I'm 25 now it's already been 9 yrs now since I started to consume alcohol.  Please help me there is a lot more I wanna share.

Posting with lots of hopes

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, let's address the reason why you drink. Why do you feel you might do it everyday?

• Posted

It sounds like you do have someone who loves you.  Yet you lie to her.  What would be different about being married that would enable you to stop drinking.  I think you need to ask yourself this hard question.  How much do you drink and what?  What have you tried to do to stop?  That might help us to give you more specific advice. I'm pleased you want to do so etching about your drinking and I wish you well.

• Posted

We need more details please
    • Posted

Yep, echo what Robin has said. I imagine this is probably Indian sub-continent and involves a couple of those religions. But that aside, are you wanting help with alcohol or relationships?
  • Posted

Hello, I can understand how you feel. A break up many years ago triggered a drinking problem, although I am also genetically predisposed. When we have a drinking problem we become professional liars. Trying to hide the problem and not feel the shame we have inside to do something that is out of our control. I believe you could have an emotional problem and you drink as well as a physical addiction, but now emotionally you are with a wonderful girl so I believe it's mostly physical.  I know due to religion and culture, sometimes there are appropriate rehabs there. I would advise you are honest with her. Drinking is a disease and you should not feel bad or guilty, ask for help and suppport, and please don't surround yourself with people who drink and/or situations that trigger your drinking. After this personal advice I would suggest you see a doctor and maybe he can give you medication to cut the cravings. I'm sure you are strong and can succeed. Asking for help is the first step to recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.