Help..took my last cit 9 weeks ago after a slow withdrawal..still feel terrible

Posted , 3 users are following.

withdrew from citalopram slowly over a year...now 9 weeks after taking my last pill 5mg I stlii feel anxious and irritable..I also take diazepam 10mg per day,which at the moment does bt seem  to help much...the only benefits zi have from not taking cit is that I sleep better and have no sweating..but the anxiety is bad.

Dont know whether to go back on 10mg or see GP for a different SSRI..my fear is the side effects of insomnia and weight gain if I went on Mirtazapine which I know helps sleeping ..any advice would be most welcome

BTW ..started on 40mg the 20 mg then 10 mg then cut out a 5mg ..so did it slowly as I said over one year 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I read somewhere that symptoms of withdrawal can last into 6 months !! Although I'm hoping not!

I'm 2 weeks off having been on for over 3 years. I cut down but possibly a bit too quick as it felt fine at first. Over 2 months I went from 20 to 10 to 5 to 2.5 ( not easy to cut) then off.

Since coming off my anxiety has increased but I'm determined not to let it beat me.

My insomnia is worse.

But above all I keep getting palpitations! My heart rate increaeses on accessions for a short time . On others whilst resting usual it's as low as 48. I feel dizzy from time to time or at least light headed but wake up gasping for breath on occasions it's wiping me out.

Have you or anyone else suffered the heart symptoms? These are my main concern really.

I hope you heal well so far you have done so well stick with it I'm sure you can do it!

• Posted

Hi ..have read that 60mg is very harmful to the heart..in fact cit is not prescribed to patients with heart probs..DONT PANIC ...but if you did the withdrawal quickly these symptoms COULD just be withdrawal anxiety symptoms ..perhaps getting checked out would put your mind at rest ...these withdrawal symptoms are nasty 
    • Posted

I understand they don't prescribe over 40mg much now because of that.

I have a history of ectopic heart beats and there is AF in the family so that's my motivation for not going back one them!

I know how you feel about considering a low dose again. I would say try not to if it can be helped. You have come so far. The body has to repair now building new synapse and getting used to not having artificial serotonin levels.

I understand it will get there but I sympathise with your journey.

I was also offered mirtazapine. If I were to go on anything else it would be that! I know the weight issues but apparently it's easier to come off

• Posted

Thanks for your reply..good luck ..stay in touch 💊💊💊😃😃
  • Posted

Hello, I was on Effexor, and withdrew over 10 months last year.  Like you did it very slowly so did not get any withdrawals.  It is 17 months since I stopped, and this is the longest time I have been without medication in 20 years. 

It does take quite a long time for the medication to leave our bodies.  Perhaps you are still suffering from withdrawals.  Months after I stopped medication I became very poorly with nausea and bad stomach, but don't know if it had anything to do with stopping the Effexor.  I am fine now.  I have mild depression and anxiety, but not on any prescribed medication.  Itake supplements and herbal pills, which I think are helping, although maybe placebo effect. 

I lost all the weight I gained on the anti depressant as could not eat properly for months, but skin now hanging in folds, as I am elderly and skin does not spring back. 

I don't sleep very well, but as I do not work, can cope with it. 

You are the first person I have read about, who, like me withdrew really slowly.  Hopefully you will feel better soon.  I do not want to go back on anti depressants.  See how you go over the next few weeks.  Shame you feel bad as you did reduce slowly.  It is said that if the feelings come a few weeks after stopping medication that it could be the depression/anxiety returning.  This has happened to me in the past. 

You have to decide whether you think this is withdrawals or return of illness.  Trouble is, if we do go back on medication, and we need to withdraw, we have to go through this all over again.  I think if I did go back on I would just stay on it for rest of my life.  But as I said, I am getting on in years. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Anne .i am in my mid 60's and at the moment the feeling of anxiety come in waves but seem to be getting stronger ..I am at my wits end..I really though that after 9 weeks the withdrawal would be gone...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.