Help! Torn Achilles

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I am hoping someone can help. i recently hurt my foot which turned out i have torn my achilles. I have been suffering with the same problem for a while and its painful when i walk and it is very hard and painful for my climbing up & down stairs & walking longer distance.

Last week as i stretched to get something from a shelf i felt and hear a pop at the back of my ankle and have been in severe pain ever since. I have felt it "pop" or "snap" a few times over the years but i have never heard it and this time the pain is worse than ever.

I visited my local A&E who confirmed it was a torn achilles. They strapped my foot/leg up with a bandage and gave me crutches and told me not to put any weight on it. I was given an emergency appointment for the next morning to visit the trauma clinic. After waiting nearly 3 hours after my appointment time i finally saw a doctor who cut the bandage off and done a few tests on my calf and ankle, i was pulling my foot away as it was extremely painful. He confirmed my achilles had not completely ruptured but it was torn, Then went on to say it was a sprain?? that i had to keep using the crutches and not put any weight on my foot for a few weeks and to rest it. This is very difficult as i work on the first floor & we don't have a lift.

I do not understand how in the same sentence he told me my achilles was torn but it is just a sprain.

I am now struggling and in pain constantly i was not given any pain killers, Nothing.

Should i be trying to go back or do something else as it does not seem to be getting any better and it has me completely worn out.

I hope someone can give me some advice on what i should do. Surely something should be done so this injury doesnt carry on or get worse.

It is worse when i am resting especially while sleeping, if move my foot i end up waking screaming in agony.

I hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

Kerry

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I know how you feel. Just had an MRI read and found that I have a tear in the Achilles’ tendon. The pain has been tremendous. I was given a boot to wear from the podiatrist. Seems like it is calming it. Have to back in 2 weeks. I think you should have a second opinion. Good luck. Let me know your progress. Bobbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.