Help? Totally at my wits end!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Spider nevi appeared 3/4 years ago(2/3) attended the docs and shrugged them off as nothing. Left it for 3 years as I totally lost faith but now there getting to me so much I think I’m ill. I went for a full mot blood test few weeks bak including hiv/hepatitis test and liver function test and all came back normal. I then had 2 follow up test one to measure testosterone levels and the other for oestrogen.  Background on me - I am 25 years old. Was relatively fit before the spider nevi appeared. Heavy smoker. Non drinker ever. Used to have the odd binge in the past. Used anabolic steroids for a month without doing correct pct hence the reason for doctors testing T levels. This was back years ago after I had a failed relationship after 6 years and a young son I was struggling to see for a while to begin with, this lead me to the steroids and heavy cocaine use but barely ever been much of a drinker. I drink one or 2 and I feel sick. I used cocaine most days for 2 years as I was sofa surfing and in a really bad place. I am beyond all this now focusing on my son and the great relationship we have and I have a really good job so the question I have is : is it possible to have about 20 spider nevi and be totally harmless as all doctors have shrugged this off as fairly normal as blood work etc is normal. I have no symptoms of any liver complications or showing in my blood work other than weight loss but I presume this is down to a really poor diet. I have really bad fatigue and catch colds easily and often tho my results on lft were normal. Hormone levels normal. Urine normal. Hiv and hep A,B&C all negative. Never really had a drink often tho I have had years where I maybe had a drink at the weekends. I used to use sundbeds a lot and as I stated above smoke a lot so could this possible be the reason behind my spider nevi or could this be from using sunbed a frequently as at first we thought it could be liver related as there are so many on my body but lifestyle wouldn’t indicate any serious harm appart from drinking loads of energy drinks which obviously isn’t good and previous cocaine misuse but my first 2 appeared before this started. Can anyone please please help it’s driving me insane I can’t sleep or work and doctors aren’t getting me anywhere. I clearly need help and to get to the bottom of this as it abnormal I used to be so healthy and fit but for the past 3/4 years this has been non existent. My first spider nevi appeared not long after using anabolic steroids for 2 months and have got gradually worse and more volume of them since. Surely 2 months of steroids wouldn’t br enough to do this or cause liver problems. I need some professional help and guidance. I have an appointment next week again to raise my concerns and prompt action but they all seem lost and unable to assist me ? Please someone out there must have or know if someone who has been in a similar situation and can guid me with the facts I stated above! I don’t look unhealthy though my hair is starting to recede bags round eyes as constantly tired and noticeabley skinny due to poor diet not eating enough. Stomach sometimes feels bloated but clearly blood results showed normal levels so this can’t be due to an inflamed liver ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Stop.drugs.alcool.coca.change.diet.with.priority.vegetarian.AVOID.SUN!strictly.treat.with.laser.i.dont.see.other.pathologic.implications.

• Posted

Thank you for reply. I have stoped drugs, sunbeds and alcohol for a couple years now. I suppose I need to sort my diet out! I hate the fact everybody keeps telling me I’m healthy or normal when clearly somethings going on that made these appear as more than 5 or 10 is abnormal.
  • Posted

Are the nevi all over your body or in just one area?. 
    • Posted

Spread across the body but mostly places the sunbeds could get. Face neck arms shoulders knees. But no feet no ears no bum or around boxers region where I would always wear them in sunbeds.  Many other skin things have appeared aswell I put down to sunbeds and being unhealthy but no doctor is worried as blood test etc and to the eye I look ok 
    • Posted

Also had full lft done and test testosterone and oestrogen levels and all normal and urine normal but my doctor isn’t concerned but I am. Either these are ruining me with stress or something else is. I’ve been unhealthy a few years now just not eating properly smoking heavily working constantly and not moving when in the house so could maybe be a health problem relating to poor diet and fitness. Sun exposure or when I done a silky course of steroids for a few weeks. Nothing can point to liver disease without many symptoms and no heavy use of anything that could cause irreversible damage. I’m lost and need help as obviously something isn’t right and nothing on the Internet helps. If it was liver related my oestrogen levels and lft would have flagged an abnormality 
    • Posted

Can I also say this is now the 3rd doctor to shrug me off but to me something must be causing it and I need to know. They won’t do anything unless my bloods showed something or I have obvious symptoms. My go practice is well known in my city and has a good reputation but and help, input it people talking from experience would help me greatly 
  • Posted

Reading through all your past history I feel this is because of past use of sunbeds and steroids.  Your use of cocaine and also being a heavy smoker has also increased the risk of fragile capillaries.    I'm guessing that you were/are very body conscious and now the spider nevi have dented the image of yourself. 

Your diet is poor by your own admission .

Instead of worrying about the nevi,which are damage from past activity and cant be helped,do concentrate on getting yourself back to a healthy diet and some moderate exercise without the support of steroids.  Receding hair is possible in men of your age and is often inherited.   You are thinking the worst and are looking for an answer when maybe there isnt one. Many people are prone to these nevi and you may be one.  If your next appt doesnt come up with any answers,take a step back and start a new healthy life. 

• Posted

Thank you Marina Dee. 

You have put into words what I have been thinking deep down. Slightly reassuring as this is the most probable explanation. 

You are correct I was and more so now very body conscious and these invaders have popped up all over and it has dented me. I hate going out the house now.

I pray there is no underlying issue and I’m sure blood tests would have raised an eyebrow somewhere with spider nevi present. I definetly need to change my lifestyle ASAP but can’t stop thinking negatively because as you mentioned above I’m seeking an answer when there might not be one! I don’t find much information in the internet about these spiders and doctors don’t really elaborate on them when pushed for an answer. The first doctor said it was me getting older when I had 2 a few years back but gradually got worse and more appeared (still using sunbeds every week and I am very pale). I haven’t noticed any new ones or change since I stopped using them a few months back. 

I’ll be starting new diet tomorrow plenty of fruit veg and good meats. Stopped smoking few days back so hopefully if I don’t get any answers then I start to look and feel better gradually. Maybe one day They might disappear who knows. 

Thanks again for your reply!

• Posted

Hallo Dave:  try to concentrate on being a great Dad for your son. You will never regret a decision like that. 

If you are worried that your skin may put off the opposite sex then be assured that most women couldnt give a hoot,as long as you are kind,cheerful and positive in your outlook. Dont draw attention to the nevi, they may not be as bad as you think. They may fade over the years. 

Great news that you have given up smoking...well done. ...and fantastic news that you are looking at your diet...this sounds like the start of a new life for you.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Marina.

Thank you for your reply. I wish the opposite sex really did go for personality instead of looks as my looks have diminished!

Hopefully it is the start of a new life and I stop feeling down. Got docs again on Friday so ill see how that works out. Still don't feel well tho!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.