Help want to taper off floxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi can anybody give me advice on tapering off 20mg Floxetine? i have been on meds for 9 weeks now, my depression was mild and initially was told would help with sleep issues and occasional anxiety but unfortunatelu not seeing any benefis on the meds and would like to try counselling and natural methods now. Has anybody come off successfully and how did you find it ? im 19 and really want to get back to feeling me again as these meds have taken that away. Going to see doctor today would like some advice please.

thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello!You are so close to them settling in to your body & making you feel better. Starting on any antidepressant is rough. I know, I've been there.BUT it is definitely your choice if you want off of them to try something natural. You are so young & that would be a great idea. You have to taper slowly, very slowly. The Dr should be able to help you with this & will probably prescribe the fluoxetine in 10 mg capsule.

Good Luck to you! Check in & let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

thank you, i have 3 weeks of 20mg left, i saw the doctor and he would like me to stay on them but has given me 10mg to be able to start tapering if thats what i decide to do. im not sure at the moment i might keep going for a bit longer, but have had no benefits so far so unless things change soon i will come off them. I have read so many reviews and most people seem to see results earlier.

• Posted

Ok good! That's good that the doctor gave you the 10 mg ones.I've read just the opposite on here-that it takes MANY people longer than 8 weeks to feel better. Some say up to 6 months! Ughh. I have hung in there & have been on the 20 for a while now.But getting there was rough no doubt. But I still don't feel 100 % as far as the anxiety.....doc gave me Xanax to help with the anxiety but I wish I could be med-free & only use natural supplements.

Whatever you decide is your decision & there are many on here that would agree & wish you well!

• Posted

sara im sorry you arent feeling well ! the feeling you say you wold like to be yourself again will most likely come back after you body adjust to ssri. these meds do take a while to work its a gradual thing some folks 3 months some 9 months to recover. if you decide to take it you have to take everyday. and there are start up side effects that usually go away over time. and there are some side effects that stay or develop. if you want to withdrawal thats good idea. but be very very cautious!! most drs know nothing about ssri withdrawal. ive tried to withdrawal a few times and there are some not so good symptoms that can appear from withdrwing too fast. ive found a ssri withdrawal support forum that has tons of support and information. when you withdraw try to do it when you are stable and taper down no faster than 10% of current dose per month to prevent any problems. like barbara said this is your choice i think you have made a good choice! please do you research on withdrawal there are many people suffering with this! hang in there !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.